PDA

View Full Version : Art day - what does yours look like?

Miranda.in.WA
05-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Just looking for ideas and possible good resources that would complement our FIAR art studies.

Do you do an art portfolio?

Favorite resource?

Vicki P in VA
05-06-2014, 01:30 AM
We love art!!! I don't have a consistent "art day, but try to reserve time for more extended art projects at least once every two weeks (either on a Friday or even a weekend sometimes). When we have co-op, the girls get to have art classes there, which takes a bit of the planning off my shoulders. :) We also do plenty of "small" art lessons, many suggested from the manuals or the fold n' learns (or our own observations).

One of our favorite art projects to do are chalk pastels--I found a website that does great tutorials here: http://www.hodgepodge.me/2011/01/pastels-plus-links-to-tutorials/ They have free tutorials will get you pretty far, but they also have a more extended version called A Simple Start to Chalk Pastels. I highly recommend it!

I also often will check out craft books from the library on a theme related to a country or subject we are studying; for instance, when studying Ping & China, the kids made simple Chinese lanterns, decorated and put together their own Chinese fans, and made paper scrolls.

Other times, we'll take a field trip to the museum and select a piece of art related to our subject to do sketches (I always bring a sketch pad and colored pencils to the museum for this purpose!).

Lately the kids have been getting more into the Draw Write Now books that we have, which is a great way to provide opportunities for them to do drawing related to your FIAR subject.

I also found this website a while ago: http://artforkidshub.com/ I haven't used it yet, but it has great ideas (we just usually run out of time!).

During the warmer months, we'll sometimes take the easels outside to do some painting. And of course, I keep a ton of art supplies on hand just in case the mood strikes as well. :)

That's just a sampling, but hopefully it will spark some ideas!