PDA

View Full Version : Sewing?

Carol S
05-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Anybody done a sewing course for credit? Katie wants to learn to sew, and she says she wants to learn so that she can make costumes and be a cosplay kind of girl. :eyes: At any rate, sure, why not? Besides garment construction, I'd like to include elements of design and pattern making. Does something like this already exist, because I'd be happy not to reinvent the wheel.

Miranda.in.WA
05-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Maybe this link will be useful?

http://www.4-h.org/resource-library/curriculum/4-h-sewing/

I can't wait until my little ones are old enough to join the 4H sewing group that meets at our church. I love to sew :)

To offer credit, I would suggest have her keep a portfolio that includes time spent, plans, journaling for each project, designs and photos of completed projects.

Shannon P
05-25-2014, 12:55 AM
I responded on Facebook, but I'm pasting it here for anyone that might be searching for the same thing:
Is there a children's or community theater or maybe a community college theater near you? I work with a children's theater and we're always looking for volunteers. Your dd would get tons of experience with garment construction working on costumes. She might also get a little bit of design experience while helping a costumer create costumes. Two other positives: she would be using someone else's materials at their expense, and she would get community service volunteer hours for a transcript. Win/win!

Robin in Colorado
05-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Check Heather W's blog.

Heather W
05-25-2014, 10:14 PM
:) Thanks Robin!

My daughter does a LOT of sewing. We have many projects on there including the resources for learning how to draft patterns.

Jean in WI
06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Carol. My daughter is into cosplay as well. I signed her up for a class called Sewing on the Edge at Craftsy.com. You should check out the website. It has all sorts of online courses. I do recall seeing a pattern making course. I don't know if you can declare these courses for "credit." My daughter is learning something new, and that's enough for us. Hope this helps.

Robin in Colorado
06-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Please tell me what cosplay is.

Heather W
06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Please tell me what cosplay is.

costume play :)

TonyaP
06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
I took a sewing course and a flat pattern course in college for my major. So you should be able to do a course for high school credit. (IMO)

ETA: Here's a sample course description-
http://catalog.indstate.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=17&poid=2884&hl=textiles&returnto=search

Theater Departments may also offer specific costume design and construction classes. I guess the key is to call it "construction" rather than "sewing". ;)