PDA

View Full Version : What's Rowing At Your House The Week of 5/26??

Julie in FL
05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
We are finishing up The Finest Horse in Town and Harold and the
Purple Crayon. :)

Renee
05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
We're doing Lentil for this week, with a add on lapbook on Ice cream

Vicki P in VA
05-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, I overestimated my energy levels last week, and came back from our road trip exhausted! So, I declared Wed-Fri. a school break in order to recover. :lol: This week brings us to our "science camp," which is basically just all science, all the time for the entire week (with some basic concepts as a theme each day--gravity, electricity, etc.). We often run out of time to do the "messy" experiments my kids love, so I figured this would be a way to start off the school year with some fun and get a lot of the goop out of the way all at once! :) After this, we should be back to regular rows. Can't wait!

Sunshine C
05-25-2014, 08:40 PM
This week brings us to our "science camp," which is basically just all science, all the time for the entire week (with some basic concepts as a theme each day--gravity, electricity, etc.). We often run out of time to do the "messy" experiments my kids love, so I figured this would be a way to start off the school year with some fun and get a lot of the goop out of the way all at once! :)

Vicki, I would love to hear more about this - where do you find your materials? Do you basically just do various experiments related to the theme of the day? I think this is a great idea. I, too, find that I run out of time to do the more involved experiments, and like the idea of a "science camp" for a week to start the school year! :)

Vicki P in VA
05-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Vicki, I would love to hear more about this - where do you find your materials? Do you basically just do various experiments related to the theme of the day? I think this is a great idea. I, too, find that I run out of time to do the more involved experiments, and like the idea of a "science camp" for a week to start the school year! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I have to admit I had nothing but the idea at first, and a few random boxes of "science kits" the kids had been gifted at various points that I wanted out of my house! :lol: Last week I realized I had better come up with an actual plan if I was going to make it work for an entire week! (I hate doing anything without a purpose.) :)

My first thought was to focus on the five senses, one for each day--but then I decided to do something that would bridge better to the U.S. history stuff we will be doing the week after. We recently went to Philly and my 7 y/o is currently obsessed with Ben Franklin, so I figured I would capitalize on that (electricity, inventors, etc.). I also wanted to review and go a bit deeper in a lot of things we've already touched on at various points over the last year. I also have a Magic School Bus spreadsheet I found online with lesson plan ideas, so scanned that to see if I could make connections there (we received the entire series for Christmas, and the girls love those books/videos!). We also have a book I found used a while ago called How Science Works that I will use to do a basic overview of each concept at the beginning of our day. Here's my line up:

Day 1: Scientific Method. I'm going to use the FIAR science experiment notebooking page and have the kids work through them for a variety of random experiments (mostly those kits, but I have a few others I might pull out if the others go by too quickly).
Day 2: States & properties of Matter (we'll be doing oobleck, among other things).
Day 3: Energy
Day 4: Gravity
Day 5: Electricity (& Ben Franklin, naturally!) We'll probably finish off with a kite flying "field trip." :)

Each day, we'll review a few of the concepts for the day first, learn a few science vocab terms, read one or two brief bios of famous scientists related to that day's theme (or just science in general), and then launch into our activities.

I always bookmark cool science ideas online, so I went through some of those for ideas to fill in where needed. My goal is to take no more than 3 hours per day. I went to Goodwill and bought men's white dress shirts to use as lab coats, and went to a hardware store to get protective goggles. (Not really necessary, but my kids love the idea of dressing the part!)

That's about it! I hope it works, because my kids have been wayyy too excited about this for at least the last month, and the pressure is on! ;)

JoelleH
05-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Finishing up The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar - our last row for the year! We'll be canning some strawberry jam with the help of my friend (I don't know anything about canning - so this will be a lesson for me as well!)

Laura F
05-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Tomorrow is our last official day of schoolwork! :hop: One math test and 2 sets of science review questions! :clap: We'll resume rowing in August.

Angela Rose
05-27-2014, 08:47 AM
We start rowing "Ferdinand" today!

Vicki - great idea! Have fun!

Julie in FL
05-27-2014, 05:39 PM
We're doing Lentil for this week, with a add on lapbook on Ice cream

:lol: We are going to do an ice cream lapbook/unit too!! I have it scheduled for next week. We went to an ice cream festival a few weeks ago, which
started the idea of an ice cream unit...with taste testing! :roflol:

Renee
05-27-2014, 10:25 PM
: We went to an ice cream festival a few weeks ago, which
started the idea of an ice cream unit...with taste testing! :roflol:

We went to an ice cream festival on Sunday which is what sparked our decision to do Lentil this week. We are having a wonderful time with it! With the ice cream festival and the Memorial Day parade on Monday it seemed like a perfect time to row this one.

Sunshine C
05-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I have to admit I had nothing but the idea at first, and a few random boxes of "science kits" the kids had been gifted at various points that I wanted out of my house! :lol: Last week I realized I had better come up with an actual plan if I was going to make it work for an entire week! (I hate doing anything without a purpose.) :)

My first thought was to focus on the five senses, one for each day--but then I decided to do something that would bridge better to the U.S. history stuff we will be doing the week after. We recently went to Philly and my 7 y/o is currently obsessed with Ben Franklin, so I figured I would capitalize on that (electricity, inventors, etc.). I also wanted to review and go a bit deeper in a lot of things we've already touched on at various points over the last year. I also have a Magic School Bus spreadsheet I found online with lesson plan ideas, so scanned that to see if I could make connections there (we received the entire series for Christmas, and the girls love those books/videos!). We also have a book I found used a while ago called How Science Works that I will use to do a basic overview of each concept at the beginning of our day. Here's my line up:

Day 1: Scientific Method. I'm going to use the FIAR science experiment notebooking page and have the kids work through them for a variety of random experiments (mostly those kits, but I have a few others I might pull out if the others go by too quickly).
Day 2: States & properties of Matter (we'll be doing oobleck, among other things).
Day 3: Energy
Day 4: Gravity
Day 5: Electricity (& Ben Franklin, naturally!) We'll probably finish off with a kite flying "field trip." :)

Each day, we'll review a few of the concepts for the day first, learn a few science vocab terms, read one or two brief bios of famous scientists related to that day's theme (or just science in general), and then launch into our activities.

I always bookmark cool science ideas online, so I went through some of those for ideas to fill in where needed. My goal is to take no more than 3 hours per day. I went to Goodwill and bought men's white dress shirts to use as lab coats, and went to a hardware store to get protective goggles. (Not really necessary, but my kids love the idea of dressing the part!)

That's about it! I hope it works, because my kids have been wayyy too excited about this for at least the last month, and the pressure is on! ;)

Thanks Vicki! It sounds great - I'm going to put some thought into what I have and can do - we might do something similar! :)

Vicki P in VA
05-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks Vicki! It sounds great - I'm going to put some thought into what I have and can do - we might do something similar! :)

You're welcome! It turned out fantastic, and the girls are already asking when we can do it again. They said they want to do it every week, but I had to convince them that you need to read and do math really well in order to be a good scientist. :lol: I pm'd you with some notes I compiled, in case they help (since you seem interested!). Hope you have a chance to do it--it was really worth it!

Sally in Oz
05-31-2014, 10:12 PM
I think Julie Y or Joy in Alabama used to do something like that.... except maybe it was for art??

Anyway, we are just finished off with Snowflake Bentley. It has been one of our favourite books for launching off into other things so far! We spent 2 weeks on butterflies, spent some time on photography, reading other biographies and tomorrow we will finish off with printing. I think overall we have spent close to 4 weeks on it!

One of the biographies was Jaques Costeau (Manfish) and so we may/may not do a week on underwater things... Need to decide soon!