PDA

View Full Version : It's so HARRRRD! To pack up my schoolroom

WendyW
06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Circumstances require that my schoolroom get packed away. My father in law will be moving in later this summer and we have to make room. My youngest is starting high school this fall, so I certainly don't need all my elem. stuff accessible. My FIAR materials are a no-brainer. They are "keep" for future grandbabies. It's the go-alongs that are difficult. So hard to choose what stays and what goes. So many favorite authors, and so many memories. And so many old books that I may not particularly care about, but they were such ideal go-alongs that I hate the thought of them not being available at all in the future.

Rachel Jane
06-26-2014, 12:58 PM
:group:

Leslie Nelsen
06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Oh Wendy, that is hard! :group: Are you moving things to another space? Or storage? :group:

Robin in Colorado
06-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Keep them.

I am finding that my Library is simply "weeding out" books. They are going for fewer and fewer print materials and also they don't want to keep anything that isn't "current" (meaning five years or newer). It's driving me mad to be unable to check out books, both fiction and non, for my youngers that I used with my olders because they simply are no longer available.

If these books are ones you enjoyed, or were useful, keep them.

Jennifer Unsell
06-26-2014, 02:47 PM
:group:

WendyW
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Are you moving things to another space? Or storage? :group:

Storage, with a select group that will stay out on a family room shelf. I collect Patricia Polacco (whom I NEVER would have looked twice at if it weren't for FIAR) and Jan Brett books. Those will stay out so I can keep track of what I have and don't.

Keep them.

I am finding that my library is simply "weeding out" books. They are going for fewer and fewer print materials and also they don't want to keep anything that isn't "current" (meaning five years or newer). It's driving me mad to be unable to check out books, both fiction and non, for my youngers that I used with my olders because they simply are no longer available.

If these books are ones you enjoyed, or were useful, keep them.

Thank you! I hadn't even thought that the good ones might not even be at the library. "Permission" to keep them helps a lot!

I have an aunt who is an ex-homeschooler who now teaches Kindergarten, and her dd is now raising little ones, so they are coming over next week to get first dibs on whatever I don't keep. At least I know those things will go to a good home.

Rebe
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I am finding that my library is simply "weeding out" books. They are going for fewer and fewer print materials and also they don't want to keep anything that isn't "current" (meaning five years or newer). It's driving me mad to be unable to check out books, both fiction and non, for my youngers that I used with my olders because they simply are no longer available.

This is exactly what our library system is doing. :( I hate it.

I'm not a collector or a packrat -- so my inclination is to get rid of anything I'm not using or absolutely MUST keep (like my FIAR materials). But the fact is, libraries are getting rid of print materials left and right. :( So it's a terribly hard choice -- if I get rid of them, I'll for sure never see them again.

I feel for you, Wendy!

Joy in Alabama
06-27-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm not only keeping go-alongs, but still collecting. It's an addiction - I can't help myself. :roflol:

Heather W
06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
I find it completely annoying to even use the library anymore. an investment in books is always worth it to me. Keep as much as is reasonable!

Shelly L
06-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Ditto to Robin, Joy and Heather!! I am a former children's librarian, and it pains me to see what is leaving our libraries! Ours does get, seemingly, a lot of new items in, but much of it is closer to twaddle. :eyes:

I love picture books and always will! Besides FIAR, I used many, many picture books to teach story times when I worked as a librarian, so I tend to snap up my favorites if I see they are leaving.

If storage is a possibility, I would hang on to any that you think might be useful to someone someday, or for that day when you find you have more shelf space again and grand babies visiting!

Leslie Nelsen
06-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I love this thread. Thank you ladies. I wonder sometimes if I should pare down, but its so very hard. :) Love the permission to keep things!

TamaraUSA
06-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I appreciate this thread, too. I am sitting among piles and piles of books and "things". I'm going with giving away all the "things" and keeping the books.

~now just to figure out how to organize them all.

Jane Claire
07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
I agree, keep the good ones if you can. I can't even find a lot of Patricia Polacco's books at the bookstore. She wrote so many and I can't believe that you can't find them there...though I just looked on Amazon and there are a great number still available. The fact is, we live in a disposable society and that includes good books!

KayH
07-27-2014, 01:19 PM
I am so glad I read this thread! My husband is not a book person, so sometimes I think I should start "paring down," but my oldest two children are in their early twenties, and who knows when they might marry and have children? It may not be too far off. ;) So I am starting to collect FIAR sets for them now! ;)

Laura JL
07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Could you possible place them in rubber maid containers and stack them someplace for storage? I just recently cleaned the shelves in my youngest ds's room and some in our classroom and placed the ones to keep in the plastic containers and stored in my storage room. I've recently read that someone suggested placing one of the Damp Rid packets in w/ boxes of books -- but I want to check that out more before I add bec I wouldn't want it to ruin them.

TanyaMMB
07-31-2014, 10:09 AM
I am happy to see I am not the only homeschooler who isn't mad about the library system. We go to goodwill regularly and often pick out go-alongs for FIAR or books by Authors used in FIAR (funny, I also collect Patricia Pollaco and Jann Brett! also Allen Say). My criteria for getting rid of a book is whether I enjoyed reading it to my kids. There are some books I've picked up that they loved, but really they were just badly written books tried to hard to be educational in their story or had no real substance to them. I call them book junk food. Good luck packing up your school room. If you have it in you, I would write a list of each book that goes in each box, print it out and stick it to the outside of the box so that if you are ever after one of the books you can locate it easily.