PDA

View Full Version : IEW Level C for High School Senior?

Crissa
08-11-2014, 09:19 AM
(I'm not an active poster here, but have been around since our FIAR years)

I have a senior who has not had much formal writing training since middle school years. We have never used IEW (price, overwhelming, etc), but I'm seriously looking at Level C for this year. I also see that IEW has a Teaching Writing/Level C combo for newbies.

I guess my question is: if we haven't used Level A or B, will we be able to do Level C?

I really appreciate your input.

Crissa
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
As I continue looking through the IEW website, I see they have several other lesson topics (i.e. Teaching the Classics). Would it be better for me to purchase the Teaching Writing package for myself and select some of the other lesson topics for my son?

Thanks, again, for your input.

Hollie in SC
08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, it is meant for new students to the program.

TWSS is nice, but it is for the teacher. It is a stand alone so that you can teach the method. It is handy, but at our house we haven't made it very far in our 4 years of teaching with IEW. However, if you buy Level C the DVDs teach it. If she is a senior, I'd probably just buy Level C of Student Writing Intensive and watch it with her. That will inform you on how it works and what you are looking for.

They have a very helpful yahoo group that I would recommend. It is moderated and they have good info.etc.

ETA: I would read through the different offers and see what he seems to need the most. Teaching The Classics is nice, but I would point you to The Elegant Essay before that I think.

My humble opinion is that is you get TWSS to still purchase Level C unless you are a very gifted writer and really love teaching writing. Having the teaching DVDs for the first session we did was incredibly helpful to me. It all felt very fresh and new and I was happy to have someone else explain it to my son.

They also have a live chat and a 1-800 number for calls. I have always found them to be very helpful when I need to make decisions.

WendyW
08-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I've not used IEW yet, but have heard rave reviews from friends. I borrowed the seminar CDs from a friend and really liked it. I'm planning to use a couple theme books through Tim's high school years. Note that the theme books are recommended for someone who has either used IEW in the past, or has seen the CDs. I think there's a fairly large learning curve to understanding it well enough to be able to teach it. Make sure you have a solid understanding and the proper resources at hand (lists of skills, forbidden words, etc.) before diving in. Could you find someone with a set of the CDs to borrow and watch?

Cheryl in CA
08-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Does the combo pack only include TWSS and SWI-C? In order to cover everything, your student would need to do SWI-C followed by SICC-C. It would be more work on his part, but SWI-C will only take her part way.

Crissa
08-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Thank you for your input.

Cheryl, I hadn't realized that there were two parts to Level C. I just looked at the site and found it.

I'm wondering if this is just too late to start IEW with my son. I think I may need to look for a crash-course writing program for his senior year.

Julie in AZ
08-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Hi Crissa, great to see you here! I'd recommend you use Level C DVD kit. My ds used it last year. While Level C does offer a continuation course, it stands strong on its own as a crash-course writing program. You won't regret getting the DVD instruction. It's really good!

Crissa
08-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Julie - So you did not order the parent/teacher's kit? Just the Level C DVDs?

Julie in AZ
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
That's correct, I never bought anything for the teacher. My ds used the Level C DVDs and the pdf of the student manual. I watched the DVDs with him. I'd recommend that you order the student manual already printed as it has colored pages instead of the download pdf.

I think it'll give you a good start and you can decide later if you need to add the continuation course.

Crissa
08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Julie. I've ordered Level C. I plan to watch the DVDs with my son.