PDA

View Full Version : Can I see your FIAR timeline?

Jennifer in TX
06-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I am ready to make our timeline, and I am interested in seeing what you wonderful moms have already created. I saw the timeline at HSS, and it looks very doable. I'm also interested in the FIAR digital timeline, but I can't visualize it yet. I have a lot of wall space (vertical and horizontal), so I plan on putting the timeline on the wall rather than in a notebook.

Anyone care to share pics of your wonderful creations? Please light my fire!!!

Robin(CA)
06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I would love to hear from someone who has used the FIAR timeline too. We've never had one, but from reading Jane's post below, it sounds like I need to get with it!

Angela Paige
06-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I've used the FIAR timeline. At first I was very leery of the effectiveness of a notebook timeline, but it is really neat and I think my 7 year old gets a lot out of it.

Our timeline method goes like this:
*I choose 1-3 people or events each week. I base my choices on FIAR stories, other people/events we've run across in books or school, or topics my children might be interested in discussing lately.

*I use the internet to print off a picture.

*Usually on Friday, I have my son cut out the picture and glue it down, as well as write the person's name and life dates. Then I will write a very short (under 5 sentence) little blurb about the person/event.

*My son helps choose where to put it in our 3 ring-binder. We put people by birthdate and events by the date it happened.

We just started doing this in April. As of right now, we just have about 20-25 entries. I haven't even put in tabs for the centuries yet, as all of our entries are between 1750 and 1950 so far. I'm planning to do that this summer when we won't be entering quite as much. (I'm hoping to enter a few things this summer, but I know it won't be as frequent as when we are doing school.)

Anyway, my son does understand it and I think it is quite effective. I'm pleased with how easy the process is and how open the possibilities are with the FIAR timeline. By using the FIAR timeline, you could put your notebook together in a myriad of ways, so like everything else FIAR it is easy to personalize and put your own stamp on it. :clap:

HTH!
Paige