PDA

View Full Version : Hitty questions....

Shelly L
11-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Still contemplating doing Hitty this year. Had to wait a bit for other things to get organized first. I read Hitty myself this month -- delightful book! I was wondering if someone on here who owns the "Above and Beyond" manual could give me an idea of the lesson topics studied, layout of the lessons, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Hollie in SC
11-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Shelly, I'm rushing around this morning. Our middle son went through Hitty 2 years ago. It is set up very much like Beyond. The topics are wide ranging. I think he spent 8 weeks on it, but we skipped the research paper. Sorry I don't have details for you, but I am sure someone will. :)

Rebe
11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
My dd did Hitty the same year that Hollie's son did. I think it took one semester. She did all of the projects (service, research, etc.) and got to choose which assignments she wanted to do, according to a schedule we had set up. Like BY, there is a ton of info right in the manual, so you don't really have to do anything to prepare. There are certain fun things you may want to do (I remember a cornhusk doll, which we didn't do, and making your own quill pen, which we did do).

My dd came up with the schedule, which was:

Mondays: Read the new chapter. Read the Bible lesson. Choose a Bible verse for cursive copywork (dd still needed practice with cursive).
Tuesdays: Read all the lessons for the chapter. Choose one lesson to do an activity for that week. Paragraph, diagram, timeline, drawing, poster, cooking -- whatever lesson she wants to explore.
Fridays: Lesson is due. Also, one writing prompt lesson from the end of the chapter is due.

Ongoing: Choosing research paper topic and writing the paper; due at the end of the A&BY unit. Also the service project is ongoing.

Shelly L
11-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks, both of you! Rebe, I remember now you posting your schedule on another thread -- sorry I forgot to look back there! I was wondering about the approach to the book, and so hearing that it is much like "Beyond" is helpful. Thank you ladies!