PDA

View Full Version : placement thoughts

KimCt
01-12-2015, 06:53 PM
I did FIAR a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed it. He was 10 at the time but got a lot out of it. He's now 12 and I'm wondering if we should just move on to Beyond or maybe do some volume 4 units. I'm not sure if that would be too "young" for him, though.

Thoughts?

Paige P
01-12-2015, 07:02 PM
One thing I've done (if the child is willing ;) ) is intersperse chapter book studies WITH Vol. 4 studies. You could do a BY book and then do one or two Vol. 4 studies. Have you asked him what he wants to do? (This is probably what I'd choose to do at 12 and having "missed" the Vol. 4 books.)

The Vol. 4 books are amazing!!! All FIAR books are great, don't get me wrong, but the Vol. 4 books are definitely "meatier" than the 1-3 books. They're longer picture books, and the lessons are much more involved/detailed. One nice thing about these units is that you can buy them individually as you find the books (many are OOP) or have the interest ..... http://fiveinarow.com/product-category/products-fiar-digital-units/ You can always download one and see what you think :) The Bravest of Us All is one of our absolute favorites (if we had to pick one :perplex: )

KimCt
01-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Thank you Paige. I really like that idea and I think my son would really like it as well.