PDA

View Full Version : jellyfish blessings!! check out this pic

Denise, Guam
06-03-2007, 07:49 AM
We are SO SO blessed -- my bil came to visit (he comes a lot) and he took us to Palau for a few days! The place is absolutely breathtaking and I have seen a lot of places!

Check out the picture I attached of the jellyfish we saw at the beach near the hotel.

And as if that were not enough we got to snorkel at Jellyfish Lake with a bazillion jellyfish (that have lost their stingers of course, afterall I am writing this to you aren't I?) It was totally surreal -- think a kaleidoscope of jellyfish of every size float randomly all over the place and in places they were as thick as a wall! It was insane really!! Younger dd loved it and took it all in; Older dd was freaked out and barely dunked her head under the water after lots of coaxing.

Cate OH
06-03-2007, 09:54 AM
WOW! :clap: What fun!

Hollie in SC
06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Neat!! I am so glad you had such a special time. :)

debbie in ak
06-03-2007, 11:09 AM
That is so cool!

normafl
06-03-2007, 12:03 PM
very cool! Denise. My Dh use to dive I bet he would love something like that!

ab.grace
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Neat!! That is a divers paradise. My dh would love to dive there someday!! I have seen Pulau on an IMAX DVD called the Living Seas!! WOW!! That place will take your breath away!

Thanks for sharing, glad that you had a great time. Its so much fun exploring God's great beautiful world!

AB

MicheleNJ
06-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Wow! That is so cool!!!

DD in IL
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Great picture although I still don't care for them

SheilaB
06-03-2007, 05:25 PM
:clap: Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly in Kentucky
06-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I just Googled Palau. What a beautiful island! Glad you enjoyed yourself, but I must say I am pea-green with envy! ;)

Paige P
06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
How incredibly neat!!!

I know I posted on the board earlier in the year about all the dead jellyfish that washed up on the beach in Jacksonville. It's so bizarre how there were hundreds of them just lined up. It's a great science lesson, though. I'm glad your kids got to see them alive, though, and not dead :)

By the way, how did you post a picture? I've seen several people do that, but I don't know how. Thanks for sharing!

Denise, Guam
06-04-2007, 05:16 AM
How incredibly neat!!!

I know I posted on the board earlier in the year about all the dead jellyfish that washed up on the beach in Jacksonville. It's so bizarre how there were hundreds of them just lined up. It's a great science lesson, though. I'm glad your kids got to see them alive, though, and not dead :)

By the way, how did you post a picture? I've seen several people do that, but I don't know how. Thanks for sharing!

Do you know what killed all the jellyfish?

To post a picture -- at the bottom of the posting box (under the post icons) you'll see a "Manage Attachments" button in Additional Options to attach files.

Denise, Guam
06-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Its so much fun exploring God's great beautiful world!

AB

Absolutely! What a creataive God! :clap:

Paige P
06-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Denise,
I have no idea what killed all the jellyfish. I think it's a yearly thing that happens. Someone mentioned that they may mate off the coast right there or go there to birth their babies (we saw lots of baby jellyfish, as well), so that might have something to do with it.

The interesting thing is that there were cycles of dead animals throughout the year we lived there. For weeks one month (maybe 3 weeks) there were dead horseshoe crabs that washed up -- picture a horseshoe crab every 2 feet or more. Another month, it was baby stingrays -- again, loads of stingrays scattered around the beach. Then there was the jellyfish month where literally there were hundred of jellyfish laying dead on the beach every day (although some probably washed out with the tide and then washed back up again). The year before we lived there our neighbors told us that one October night, they went out and collected over 200 sanddollars that had washed up. I have no clue as to the reason WHY that happened (and I did try to search it on the internet), but it happened. Fascinating, isn't it?!?!

BTW, thanks for the image posting tip. I'll have to see if I can't do that sometime :)

Katie
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
That is soooooooooooo cool, Denise! I'm thankful you had that opportunity!

I'm going to tell Lydia about it and show her the picture this morning ~ we're rowing Night of the Moonjellies.

Thanks so much for sharing!