PDA

View Full Version : Salamander Room Social Studies?

elkwise
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
We are getting ready to row The Salamander Room. I looked over the manual today and the achieves. It seems like there is a ton of Science lessons, but what do you do for social studies (SS)? We follow the one subject a day guideline and it seems like our SS day will be short with not much to talk about. Where do you put your story disk, what geography do you discuss? The only thing covered in the manual is about the relationship between the mother and child. What have others done for SS for this book? Thanks for any ideas.

Erin

Angela Paige
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
It may have been that I just used 2 days for science and didn't cover SS that week. I'm of the opinion that with kids under 10 it really doesn't matter if you hit every subject every day (other than say math/language arts).

In fact, I just went and got my manual, and after looking at the unit I'm positive that we just did a week of heavy science with not as much social studies. There are other books that are heavy on the SS and not as involved in science lessons. Take heart in knowing that it will all work out in the end! ;)

Blessings,
Paige

Alana
06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
We found out that where Red Spotted Newt Salamanders live, which was our old state of SC, we found it on the map.

I wouldn't discount the value of talking about the relationship between a mother and a child. Your child could have lots to say about that. I think the suggestion to share with your child about ideas you had about bringing home pets, or other things that you wished for that were fantastic is a great idea!