PDA

View Full Version : Radon testing

Theresa
06-22-2015, 07:32 AM
We are considering finishing part of our basement as an apartment for our oldest and was thinking about radon and getting the area tested. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Esther-Alabama
06-22-2015, 07:43 AM
My cousin owns a home inspection business and does it regularly. It is simple procedure and if radon is detected, steps can be taken to fix the issue without too much problem or expense.

I don't know much else about this...sorry!

Heather W
06-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Home inspectors test for this as a part of their job, but you can get independent tests done. If radon is detected, a radon mitigation system can be installed for about $2000 (that was the going rate three years ago in NY). It's a fan which pulls air from your basement from the foundation 24/7. We have a radon fan in our basement. It was installed as part of the purchase of our home when the radon was measured at 4x the limit.

Theresa
06-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Thanks so much for the information.

Laura F
06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Heather gives good advice. We just had our new home tested during the closing process. Our house had very minimal radon levels, but my sister's house just 20 minutes away had scary levels before they moved in
. Their mitigation system was about $1200.

Heather W
06-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Heather gives good advice. We just had our new home tested during the closing process. Our house had very minimal radon levels, but my sister's house just 20 minutes away had scary levels before they moved in
. Their mitigation system was about $1200.

You know when I take a walk around our tiny neighborhood, I see a few houses with the fans and many without. It's a ten year old neighborhood. My guess is the only houses with fans are the ones which have changed owners in that time. If I were an original owner, I'd be nervous!