PDA

View Full Version : Assigning Grades

Jennifer in VA
06-29-2015, 06:33 PM
If your family assigns grades for your kids work, do you have a rule of thumb you follow for all subjects? Is literature calculated differently? Do you assign more "weight" to final grades than regular tests?

We are trying to wrap up Simon's 9th grade "transcript". I have most subjects inputted into Excel, can rearrange tests, based on quarter test, semester test, final, etc. English (literature, spelling, and grammar) is throwing me for the greatest loop on how to assign grades. Also, not sure if I should treat every test the same.

Thanks!

Kendra AU
06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Jennifer, I suspect you might get more answers on the highschool board from Mamma's who've BTDT, so I'm going to pop your thread over there & see if it gets you some answers! :)

Rebe
06-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Everyone probably does this differently. For English classes, I'd have grades for papers, tests (sometimes), quizzes, plus I'd take into account "participation," which was usually discussion and knowing that they did the work on time. And their attitude. ;)

I didn't really weight the grades in a formal way. I know some people do that. I tried to make it easier on myself by giving everything a number based on 100. So if they got an A-, I'd put (91) next to it, or whatever it was. Then at the end of the semester I'd calculate the grades using those scores. Depending on the class, I would give more weight to papers than to quizzes, for example.

I also dropped the lowest quiz grade in a couple of subjects, especially if it was a format they weren't used to, like A Beka health tests.

Hopefully someone will answer who used a software program to calculate or keep track -- I never used one.

Hollie in SC
06-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Ditto to Rebe. I look at each class and try to choose something that makes sense. :) Also, I increase the value of the final exams each year since colleges count them a very high percentage of the grade.

We broke piano and PE into two years of 1/2 semester each. If it is a class like PE or Piano I ask for more than 75 hours for an A. SC uses a grading scale based on numbers not letter grades so I call it a 97.

Rachel Jane
06-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Three for three, I did very much what Rebe and Holly did unless the curricula had how the grades were rated spelled out for you. The Lord of the Rings suggested an amount of points for the writing assignments depending on the content. If I am remembering correctly, the Chemistry we did, had a suggestion on how to weigh the grades: Lab was 30%, assignments were 20%, tests were 30%, class participation 20%.
I wasn't strict about grading in math. I was looking for mastery. I would take a few math assignments a week, but weighed heavily on tests.

Sorry. I am not much help.

Rebe
06-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Also, I increase the value of the final exams each year since colleges count them a very high percentage of the grade.

This is an excellent point. I have warned my dd that some college professors will count her final exam (or exams in general) as 50% or more of the grade. I know some go higher than that, even.

Leslie Nelsen
06-30-2015, 11:29 PM
I also didn't have a formal process, unless the curriculum recommended that certain portions count for a certain amount. I created my own grading sheets for various classes to help me keep up with the work.

I will also drop a low quiz grade in a subject too like Rebe.

Rachel Jane
07-01-2015, 04:43 AM
This is an excellent point. I have warned my dd that some college professors will count her final exam (or exams in general) as 50% or more of the grade. I know some go higher than that, even.

Jer had 1 class that his final grade was the midterm and the final test scores. :eek:

Paige P
07-01-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm just starting the high school process, but dd1 had a couple of high school credit classes last year.

Also, I went to an HSLDA "hsing high school" workshop here in town last year and gleaned lots of info. They suggested you let your dc know BEFORE the class starts/at the beginning of the class how everything will be graded, and you need to write it down in case anyone asks ;)

For English, when I was a teacher, the typical "grading" was:
* 50% of overall grade was tests and essays (each essay counted as a test grade)
* 25% quizzes (including vocab and spelling)
* 25% daily work/class participation/homework
(you could break that down more if you wanted to)

Last year, for Science, I did the following:
* tests 40% (drop the lowest grade)
* labs 30%
* homework (filling out lab worksheets/book) 20%
* class participation -- (i.e., completely doing all work and actually participating in class -- she went to a "lab" class) 10%

For Math, I'm doing the following:
* tests 50% IF you do poorly on one, you can retake it and average the grades (I want mastery, not moving on without understanding something!)
* quizzes 10%
* daily work -- (did you DO you work? Very important for math!) 40%

Some may call the "class participation" a "gimme" grade, but in "real" school ;) this happens all.the.time. Truly, I used to walk about the classroom almost daily and "check" in my gradebook (a check was a 100 for a daily grade) -- did you take notes? check. Did you do your homework? check. Did you answer the questions you were supposed to? check. Did you fill in your vocab worksheet? Check. Easy 100 for part of your average. Why should my hs kid be any different?

Oh -- I haven't thought about "final exam" grades, etc. You could count it as 10% of their overall grade or you could count it as 2 or 3 test grades or????? Many ways to consider it.

TonyaP
07-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I have been researching this as well, and factoring in accomodating several learning issues that would merit and IEP in ps. I am finding it tough to balance being legitimately fair with my wish to not make it seem too easy or too hard. Tough stuff for a mom. Thanks for the input everyone.