PDA

View Full Version : How much money would you give to your daughter

Rebecca in Orlando
06-30-2015, 08:19 AM
If she were going to be in Paris for two weeks, then in Greece for two weeks? She will be studying piano while she is there, six days a week. Very few meals are covered and the price of tuition. I have no idea, how much money I should send her. I remember getting stranded in Japan after a six week trip to Thailand when I was her age, and it was horrible not having any money back then before cell phones! Any suggestions, advice appreciated!!

Rachel Jane
06-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Goodness! I don't know. I'd want my child to have at least $100 a week and then $100 extra. Maybe carry a credit card with a limited amount on it? My oldest has to commute a lot, so he has a cc with over $1000 for emergencies, should he have to grab a plane at any given moment. He is the family go to guy for emergencies these days. He is 21.

MichelleTN
06-30-2015, 08:45 AM
No advice but wanted to say.........How exciting and what a wonderful experience :clap: :hop: I hope she has a WONDERFUL time. :yes:

Kelly K
06-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I would check into sending her with a credit card. I think they get the best exchange rates. Not sure other than that.

CINDY LB OH
06-30-2015, 09:57 AM
My dd21 was in Italy for a semester of study abroad. We sent her with an initial amount of euros we ordered from our bank. Then she used her bank card once she got established over there. Exchange rate doesn't matter whether you use cash or credit, it is what it is. She could go to bank machines over there and get out cash when she needed it. If your dd doesn't have a bank card, AAA has a travel card that you can put money on to use. We inquired about that, but in the end just stayed with the bank card since her account wasn't that big anyway. If something happened and she needed extra money, I could just go to the bank and make a deposit. Also, if she uses her bank card, make sure you tell your bank that she will be overseas and what the dates are. Otherwise, they'll put a freeze on her card because they'll think it's been compromised. We told our bank twice to make sure they knew, and they still froze her card anyway. That was the only mishap she had, but it was quickly settled.

My dd was told to plan expenses based on cost of living in New York City. Of course, it's better to have too much money than not enough, and make sure she has a purse/bag that has a zipper and can be worn across the body. We were warned about pick-pocketers as well. She never had a problem, but stay aware.

I hope she has a great time. My dd loved her semester in Florence. She was able to travel quite a bit throughout Italy, and did other tours as well throughout Europe. Your dd will have a great time!

Shannon P
06-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Greece is having a monetary shortage right now due to their economic situation. They've said that tourists will be exempt from ATM limits since they are drawing funds from banks abroad. They don't want to inhibit tourism because of its importance to the economy. I'm sure they would appreciate if tourists spend money in the form of cash.

Paige P
07-01-2015, 08:37 AM
I don't know an exactly amount, but do NOT think $100/week would cover it :no: I have no clue about prices in Greece (I do think they're cheaper), but I KNOW for a fact that Paris is super expensive. Just ordering a Coke at McDonalds costs $4 or more. We we were in Holland 3 years ago, our first meal was utter sticker shock for us -- we ordered 4 sandwiches, 2 orders of fries (didn't come with the sandwich) and 4 8 oz. glasses of Coke (we were trying to stay awake). That meal cost OVER $50 :eek: I would think just eating will cost over $100/week if she eats anything other than sandwiches. Plus, if she does any touring, visiting museums, etc., the price will continue to rise.

Does the group/school she's traveling with not have any suggestions?

Kendra AU
07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
You need to figure out the conversion rates first & foremost.

The American dollar could be stronger, or weaker, depending on which country she's in. For instance, the US dollar is incredibly weak, like most, against the Euro or British Pound, thus you'd need a LOT more then you think {double actually} in order to get by. Also, if you give her a cc you need to be sure that the company issuing it is aware it will be used overseas: where & how long for. The chances are high that if your cc company runs GOOD security they WILL halt that card when they see overseas charges on it.

As someone mentioned above Greece is in a lot of turmoil right now in regards to finances, changes are things will be very very expensive there. There's also going to be the exchange rate & the cost of exchanging dollars into another form of money that you will need to consider. I do not advice sending someone overseas with only one means of paying for things be it cash or just one credit card..

XE Online Currency Converter is a great tool for figuring out conversions, but be aware that money rates change daily & that can deeply effect the amount of money your child could have on her at any given time. I doubt that it would drop too dramatically, but you never know it has happened before.

Steve Lambert
07-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Our experience in Paris was to take about 3 times more money than you thought! It's almost impossible to OVER-estimate dining costs in Paris!!! I would THINK of $50 per day if she's not going to any nice restaurants and just eating in cafes and stuff.

Paige P
07-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Our experience in Paris was to take about 3 times more money than you thought! It's almost impossible to OVER-estimate dining costs in Paris!!! I would THINK of $50 per day if she's not going to any nice restaurants and just eating in cafes and stuff.

And I *think* he's just talking eating costs, not any touring costs (museums, etc.) that she may want to do. :unsure:

April Marie
07-02-2015, 11:40 AM
yes, paris is expensive!

definitely a credit card - easiest way to do it.
ATMs work well too.

the dollar to euro ratio is pretty good right now.
which may or may not get better depending on the greece sitation.

Carol S
07-03-2015, 08:26 AM
So happy for her fantastic opportunity!

Rebecca in Orlando
07-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions! Btw, most of all the French museums offer free admission to anyone 18 or under. Unfortunately my dd turned 19 last month. But, just incase anyone else here was planning to go.
The director of the program suggested $200 per week, but I do think that is so low. I don't want her to have to eat cheap the entire time. I am sending her with $300 (US) cash, her ATM card, and a visa card that has no international fees. She is going to use her ATM upon arrival to take out $500 US dollars (which will be in Euros). Her dad and I each gave her $500 which she deposited into her ATM account. I can always add money to that. I did advise her to take out another $500 the day before she leaves Paris to go to Greece. That way if the ATMS are empty there, she will have some Euros. So she has a credit card in her name now, with a $4000 limit, a bank card and about $3000.00 in her account if she needs that and $300 cash. IF anyone here thinks of any reason that this is a BAD plan, please feel to tell me!! And if you think of saying a prayer for her, it is greatly appreciated!!! Again, thank you all so much for taking time to give me your thoughts. I really appreciate it!!!!

Shannon P
07-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Sending prayers that she has a wonderful, trouble-free trip!

Rachel Jane
07-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Sending prayers that she has a wonderful, trouble-free trip!

:yes:

April Marie
07-04-2015, 11:44 AM
hope she has a fabulous time!
what a grand adventure. :)

Melissa Crabtree
07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
I think your plan sounds great. The one thing I would add after just traveling to England for two weeks is that we were told to not use the ATMs on the street but always go to an ATM at the bank where it would be more secure.

Rebecca in Orlando
07-04-2015, 09:58 PM
I think your plan sounds great. The one thing I would add after just traveling to England for two weeks is that we were told to not use the ATMs on the street but always go to an ATM at the bank where it would be more secure.

Thanks so much Melissa ! I'll let her know that! She's en route now!