PDA

View Full Version : Saturday DECLUTTERING!

Heather W
07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
This Weekend's Challenge: General pick up and tidying

School Challenge: Planning for a new start

Inspiring Thought: Happy Independence Day! :clap:

For me today:

make breakfast- brunch by now! :lol: We are s-l-o-w this morning.
put away all the things I pulled out for crafts this week
transfer insects to the boxes
pin three insects
meal planning
blog work- write several posts for the upcoming week and possibly post one today (I have ideas for one on human geography and another on mentoring high school math)
play a game
read aloud

We are resting this weekend! Hopefully we are past melt downs moments. Yesterday was a LONG day because some of us were just DONE. ;)

We did fireworks last night and today is rainy (again), so we are just going to hang out.

Have a fun day! What are your plans for the weekend?

Jen in OK
07-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Good morning!

It was a late night last night, but we had a fun time.

We are planning a low key day, but we are also trying to make sure things are ready if we have a showing. Since it's a holiday you'd think we wouldn't, but we've learned to always expect it. :eyes:

We are enjoying Tuesdays at the Castle--we're about halfway through. The main character is a girl, but her brother is in it, too.

So far today:
*put the towels in the dryer--I put them in the washer right before bed last night
*kids' sheets washing
*40 minute walk
*made breakfast

To go:
*get kids' sheets back on the beds
*clean all the bathrooms
*laundry--maybe 1 load?
*clean out the car
*blog
*make strawberry bars for family reunion tomorrow

Dh is working today and tonight we'll probably have a regular dinner and then maybe do a few more fireworks here.

Have a great day!!

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Good Morning ladies,

Happy 4th of July!

Please pray for MY knee today. I woke up after a short time being asleep with a lot of pain in my knee for no apparent reason. I am having a lot trouble walking and it hurts. I need to work today. I have 6 dogs in my care and 3 visits a day for the next week which includes stairs. Also I start a walking job in a couple days for 10 days or so. I need my knee to function. I have a brand new dog coming in two hours. I am icing and took an anti inflammatory. I have no idea what happened. I didn't do anything. Please pray I can do what I need to do. I have no choice.

CINDY LB OH
07-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Good Morning!
Happy Independence Day to you all. :)

We have no plans away from home today. Erica is coming sometime, we'll just relax and enjoy, and then go to fireworks tonight.

So far:

cut up the pork loin roast and put it in the brine solution... we'll grill those for supper
cleaned out the kitchen sink and cleaned up the counters
cleaned the bathroom counter, sink, and mirror
tidied up the living room
read the first part of The 4th of July Story to ds8
emptied the library bag and put the books on the shelf :) My new spot is just right.
sent dh off to get sweet corn from the farmer's market... I hope it isn't gone already

I'm headed back into the kitchen to make strawberry shortcake biscuits and something else sweet and chocolatey.

Plus, I hope to work on portfolio summaries and spend time in the sun.

Enjoy your day! :cool1:

Shelly L
07-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Cindy in CA: Praying! That's wild! You have so much going on, hopefully this knee thing will get straightened out pronto! My hip was hurting a lot on Wednesday, just as I was getting ready to go to the store for a 'must do' shopping trip for a church meal. I walked around the store in tears. Within a few hours of walking, cooking, and busy-ness, it had gone away. I pray you can get relief!

Happy Independence Day, ladies!

I got some breakfast started (hot!). That doesn't happen every day around here; we are generally very independent eaters for breakfast! :lol:

My daughter said she feels much better today!

My husband is still sleeping. He must have had a long day yesterday on the farm. He had indigestion when he went to bed, too, I think from eating a gas station hamburger on the way home -- bleh!

I didn't get as much done yesterday as I had hoped, so the list remains the same:
-- decluttering for awhile
-- school planning
-- fireworks at a friend's house tonight. We are carting our fire pit over there, and we're having s'mores and Chex Mix - ha!

Lovely day here! Oh, someone needs to mow and weed eat, not sure which one of us it will be. I'm hoping husband feels much better, as he has a lot to do as well.

Hope you all have a lovely and restful day! As we enjoy our freedoms today, may I encourage you to use it as a reminder to also lift our nation up in prayer? :)

Angela Rose
07-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Happy Independence Day from the lake!

We are expecting rain this afternoon, but are hoping it clears for fireworks.
We had s crazy start to our day. My nephew's dad showed up at 8:30 declaring it was his weekend to have his son. Everyone stayed calm, but it was not pleasant.

Cindy in CA. Praying for your knee!

Have a great day ladies!

MichelleTN
07-04-2015, 10:41 AM
HAPPY 4TH :hi:

Cindy CA -- hope your knee feels better quickly

Jen -- glad you had a good time last night

Heather -- hope y'all can all chill today and get rested

Cindy LB -- have fun with Erica

Shelly -- glad your dd is feeling better

Angela -- sorry y'all had a bad start to the day. Hope it gets better

Yesterday late evening we put in a movie and was enjoying it. We had heard a few fireworks here and there. All a sudden it sounded like a cannon went off :eek: We ran out trying to see if it was a firework or something happened. Didn't see anything.

Then last night while in bed reading (about 1:45am) I hear this loud BOOM. Dh was still in living room. I jumped out of bed and started down the hall. About the time my feet hit the floor I think ds1 feet did too. The boys hadn't been in bed too long (they had been watching a show with dh) but ds2 was asleep and it didn't wake him. Dh said he thought it was a gunshot :eek:

Still not sure what the plans for the day are. Figure dh and BIL will figure it out or we will just spend the day at home (fine with me too). They were discussing yesterday maybe waiting until another weekend do a get together. Chance of rain, $$, work, etc. Even if we don't go anywhere or do a picnic etc. we will all probably meet to watch the fireworks put on by the museum. We almost always meet to watch those together.

The boys and 2 neighbor boys are out doing a few fireworks right now. :lol: I am going to find food. We haven't had breakfast.

Hope everyone has an Awesome and Relaxing 4th. :hi:

April Marie
07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
enjoy the lake, angela.
sorry about the unpleasant start.

michelle - i always thought the 4th of july would be an ideal time to commit a murder.
(you know, if you were so inclined. :lol:)
it sounded like a war zone every year - all day and night, and for over a week - at our place in washington.
not too bad here, thank goodness.

cindy - hope your knee gets better soon.
my sister's knee just started hurting and swelled up yesterday.
(she's had extensive surgery on the OTHER one!)

my 3 men are HOME!! :D

Jen in OK
07-04-2015, 12:35 PM
As we enjoy our freedoms today, may I encourage you to use it as a reminder to also lift our nation up in prayer? :) :yes:

Praying for your knee, Cindy! :group: When we got to my mom and dad's last night my mom was in a wheelchair! They had been out appliance shopping and my mom heard this pop in her knee! She has had a lot of troubles with them over the last two or three years. No fun.

:eek: Angela! I hope the day improves and I'm glad everyone stayed calm!

*cleaned all the bathrooms
*read to the kids
*washed the bathroom rugs
*did another load of laundry
*clean sheets back on the kids' beds
*walked the dog
*cleaned my stuff out of the car--the kids still need to tackle the back seat
*entered a couple of recipes on PTE
*showered

Now I'm going to get lunch going and then work on the strawberry bars. I'm going to cut them into pieces and take them out of the pan for ease of serving tomorrow and ease of taste testing today. :lol:

Heather W
07-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Taking it slow, but we are getting a few things done:

made french toast
had KP kid empty dishwasher and put away clean dishes from the drain board
started our sheets washing
conferenced with Dan on some organizational items in the basement
made some blog post notes and started a post for Monday
helped J10 transfer his insects to his display box
pulled some insects from the freezer to pin- he has to do 5 and the rest we can get rid of unless he really wants to pin more or there is something really cool not to be left.
helped J to start a new collection record for this year's insect collection- the fair is two weeks away and we have a lot of work to do!

Now I'd like to have something to eat and get to pinning!

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks so much girls for the prayers. I am doing okay. The pain is being managed. I can do what I need to. I did my morning pet sitting run but drove over..... I always walk, it is 1/3 of a mile away. I got a cancellation this morning for the new dog which rarely happens but is probably a good thing since I need to take it easy. I just stretched the tight muscles that support the knee and am icing again. This will be my day stretch and ice.

I managed to do a quick clean up in the kitchen. Boys are off for the day with their dad. So I will just hang with my furry friends and take care of this mysterious knee thing. Need to go make another pet sitting visit soon and walk the dog. It is a nice out on my patio. Will probably hang here with my knee up a lot today.

Cari
07-04-2015, 02:11 PM
DH is letting me use his hot spot to get on my iPad for a few minutes. A few updates:

The nausea is better. My best friend asked me last night why I wasn't taking anything for it. Duh. So as long as I keep popping Pepto pills. Still a little dizziness, but better.

Unfortunately, I woke up at about 4:00 am with a sinus headache and fever of 102. Both seem controlled with Advil if I take it every 4-5 hours.

The plan is still for me to drive home with the kids tomorrow night while Dave flies on to Charlotte. It's about six hours. I'm a bit concerned about how it will go, but I'm planning to send out some texts tonight for people to call me. I've made drives this long alone before, but never not feeling well?

Gonna lose the hot spot. TTYL.

Heather W
07-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Pinning is finished! :clap: J is losing interest in this project area, but he needs a distraction from computer programming all the time. Plus, he has a new fear of bees which I'd like to move through. He's doing a third year collection. It's a fun thing for us to do together and he seems to have a good time when I am right there with him. This year's collection will look handsome when it's all labeled up and I know he will be excited to enter it into the fair. Gotta take the good with the bad. R is a first year student in entomology and she loves it. I'll be working with them both over the next two weeks to get their collections prepared.

Still working on a blog post here and there. I would like at least two scheduled for the week in case I'm not up to working with this little kidney stone event on Monday.

My sister is doing well. Her surgery went well and she's resting at home. There is no follow up treatment this time so she needs to heal and get ready for the permanent implants. I think she's home from work for 6-8 weeks.

Time to check on laundry and keep working on the blog. Two kids are out with friends. One down the road and the other at the park with her friend exploring.

We also learned of a lyme doctor about an hour away. I think we will call the office and investigate on Monday morning and see what the option is there. We may try that if it sounds good. Otherwise, we'll make the appt in DC and plan to go there. Dan had thought I made the appt. :lol: Silly Dan. I don't commit us that hugely without him checking into it first. ;)

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
https://www.armourintruth.com/jewelry-boutique/crosses/cross-body-purses/

Wanted to share this adorable purse I bought recently. I bought it at this cool Market Place we have here. I am going to switch my stuff over to this bag while I sit on my patio with my leg up. I got mine in black. Oh, and I paid less than the online price. :)

I walked over, well limped over to my clients. One more visit to go later.

Heather, prayers as you find the right help and treatment for E. Not silly at all that Dan assumed you moved forward to get your boy in to the clinic. Hope he is feeling okay.

Well since I am forced to take it easy today, I am enjoying perfect temps on my porch.

CINDY LB OH
07-04-2015, 04:48 PM
We are enjoying perfect temps here too. It's glorious. 79F with a slight breeze and full sun. :)

I've been either in the kitchen or outside. It's been very relaxing and enjoyable. We are having pork loin on the grill, sweet corn, homemade mac and cheese, strawberry shortcake, and pecan cheesecake bars. Yes. 2 desserts. :D

I was able to sit in the sun for an hour too, and listen to a read aloud podcast.

Rachel Jane
07-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Cindy, where does it hurt?
A brace can help a great deal.

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Cindy, where does it hurt?
A brace can help a great deal.

The inner part of my knee. Yes, wearing a brace. Icing again.

Rachel Jane
07-04-2015, 05:29 PM
The inner part of my knee. Yes, wearing a brace. Icing again.

Have you tried putting a topical pain killer on it?

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Have you tried putting a topical pain killer on it?

Ahhhh, I totally forgot about putting Arnicare on it. Thanks, RJ, will do that soon. I never have knee issues like this, weird. I may have been sleeping in a weird position. Idk. When I woke with pain my knee was bent and hurt to straighten.

Jen in OK
07-04-2015, 05:45 PM
*laundry done
*strawberry bars done--SO yummy! They are on my PTE!
*car cleaned out--I'll stop and vacuum it out on the way to church tomorrow.
*got fireworks
*went to Walmart--decided to make Hawaiian Chicken Salad and I needed some pineapple

Now I'm getting dinner ready and making a batch of cookies--I realized I'm not sure how many people my dessert is supposed to be for, so I'm making another one.

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Curious everyone. Fireworks are illegal where we live. Are they legal where you are?

Heather W
07-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Fireworks are illegal here. NY has been a zero firework state, but recently they allowed some mild ones. Only they are selling in the county next to us and are still illegal in our county. Maryland was a safety sparkler only state too so whatever.

I hope your knee is better Cindy!

Since last time:

switched laundry and started more
hung one load on the line
just switched again to the dryer- I'm sure the clothes on the line will need the dryer when I take them in. Without the heat in the air, it takes longer to dry even with no humidity and a breeze.
worked on my post for Monday- off and on this afternoon. I'm looking forward to finishing this one tonight and starting on the other one.
did more blog work for a company that I have a relationship with
made homemade mac and cheese for dinner
cut a watermelon and got it in the frig
washed up some dishes
helped the girls get started on some blackberry pie- they went berry picking at the park (tons of bushes out there) and they wanted to make a pie. That's ongoing.
put sheets back on my bed and made it-earlier this afternoon
cleaned up the stuff from paper mache from last week- to get the helmet ready for Dan
put away some of the items from VBS- I have a big bag left
pinned four more insects with J- I'd like to get a fruit fly and put it on a point. We have a problem at the moment so there are plenty around. :eyes:

That's about it. I've been in and out on my porch. I hope to spend more time here, but my laptop may lose power and I have work to do. :unsure: I can always let it charge some while I eat pie! :lol:

It's been clouds and sun on and off today. This morning was a steady, light rain. But, we should have Cindy's weather tomorrow. :)

Jen in OK
07-04-2015, 06:25 PM
They are legal here. In city limits you have to buy a permit, but we are not in the city limits. We will actually be living in Tulsa when we move instead of the suburb (by a couple of blocks) so I'm not sure how that will change things, but I imagine our neighborhood probably has some rules about it anyway. :eyes: So we will go to my mom and dad's in the country to do them, because my kids love to blow things up. :lol:

I'm going to do a bit more cleaning up...I'm concerned that we'll get a call for a showing tomorrow when we have the family reunion to go to and ds is having a friend spend the night, so I really need to be as ready as possible--and if no one calls, at least the house looks good!

Jen in OK
07-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Chugging along...
*swiffered upstairs and downstairs
*vacuumed rugs
*vacuumed tile downstairs
*emptied all the trash cans except for the kitchen
*ironed a few items

Now we're going to head out and start with the smoke bombs, etc.!

Rachel Jane
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I don't even know if they are legal here or not. :lol: The county sets them off on our river several times over the summer and lots of people set of fire crackers and small things.

Cari
07-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Checking in from my iPad again. Wifi at the hotel. Went for a brief dip in the hot tub which was nice and relaxing. I'm planning on slugging some NyQuil momentarily. It's not over -- I missed a dose of Advil this afternoon and the fever
came back :(. But I do feel better in a lot of ways, so I think I will be okay tomorrow night if I stay well-medicated and well-hydrated. Worst case, I pull over somewhere to spend the night and finish out the drive in the morning. It's interstate the whole way so there are hotels at every exit.

So that's where I am. If you're bored, PM me and I'll text you my number. I'd love some people to talk to. Six hours is a long time!

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Bailee hanging with me icing my knee. Two more in my lap.

Shelly L
07-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Not even sure I should reply, since it is so late! You all are probably in bed. We just got back from doing some private fireworks with two other families. Lots of laughs, which I needed today!

So, yes, fireworks are legal here.

Our city quit doing major displays, so many people here travel to a neighboring smaller town that has "big doin's' over there, including parade and carnival. We have gone to that, but it's so hot some years it's not that fun.

We are not allowed to have fireworks where we live on this research station, so if we want to see or do anything, it's always at someone else's place. That's okay.

On the way home tonight, we saw a lot of neighborhood displays going on. Always fun.

Need to get to bed.

One of my favorite times of day -- crawl in bed with a good book, lights low, read..... relax... sleep. Hope you all have (had) that kind of night as well!

Cindy in CA
07-04-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm still up Shelly, it is only 9:00 here. :) glad you had fun!!