PDA

View Full Version : How many in a school year

Sarai
10-26-2015, 12:42 AM
How many books do you ladies dos in a school year?

Laura F
10-26-2015, 07:21 AM
I'm guessing that we typically row 20 books each year. We might do 5 other holiday rows and nature studies, too.

Rebe
10-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Vol. 1-3 took us two years -- so 1.5 books per year. I don't know how many actual books we rowed, but that's how long it took us to do the FIAR volumes. It left time for holiday studies, etc.
Vol. 4 took us one year.

Sunshine C
10-26-2015, 12:25 PM
We row 18 or so...with lots of rabbit trails...I typically plan 2 books for 3 weeks, or 3 books for 4 weeks (depending on how I group our year) so that we have extra time to expand our studies as desired. I also usually deliberately plan a couple of rabbit trails. For example, when we rowed Follow the Drinking Gourd I deliberately planned that we spend a week on the Civil War, when we rowed All Those Secrets of the World I planned two additional weeks on WWII, etc.

Julie in FL
10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Hi Sarai,

We have done 1 vol. per year. We have always rowed 1 book over 2 weeks (on average). I have done that ONLY because my girls LOVE FIAR that much! Some books we spent 1 week, most 2 weeks. This would leave us room for rabbit trails and holiday studies, etc.

HTH!

Sarai
10-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Ladies,
Thank you for responding. I have the 3 volumes w/ the bible portion in one book. I just picked a choose the books that I already have on hand and it was 17 books. My Library just carries 3 of the 55 books listed in FIAR, which was very disappointing since it is the main library in my county. Anyhow, I am doing FIAR with a 2nd, K and a 3 year old. I wanted to spend at least one more year on all 3 volumes before moving DS in doing vol 4. Basically, I was thinking of doing vol 4 when he was in 4 th grade. Could one do vol 4 with children that are younger? Or do I have to separate my older son from the younger ones?
I hope I am making sense here. To be honest, I real, really, really want to do all the book with my children. I don't want my 7 year to miss out on the other books as he progresses in his grade level.

Paige P
10-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Sarai, I definitely think you can wait an extra year and do Vol. 4 with a 4th grader :yes:

Another option to throw out there for you is the year you want to do Vol. 4, you could take 2 years and then "alternate" Vol. 4 books with Vol. 1-3 books, then you could more easily include all of your dc :D

I would not solely do Vol. 4 with a K'er (which is what your youngest will be at that time). Right now, I'm rowing with my 5th grader and 1st grader, and we mix and mingle Vol. 4 books with Vol. 1-3 books, and sometimes I throw in a chapter book with topics that I want to cover.

I encourage you to get your feet wet with rowing/the curriculum, and then use it as it best works for YOUR family. There's no right or wrong. I would love to have my oldest ds working on one thing and my youngest on something else, but I've learned over the years that, FOR ME, it's better to do one thing WELL than try too many things because when I try more than one, I wind up not doing much of anything :blush: A hard, ugly truth, but that's just the way it is for me. I've learned that I do better when we row together. I also learned (the hard way) than when it's time to let go, let go and let them move on ;) I held on to FIAR way too long with my oldest dd because I wanted us all to be together. (but that's a whole 'nother topic :) ).

Anyway, back to your question -- for ME, one thing that has worked is mixing the Vol. 4 with the 1-3 books to "get" the younger and olders. I definitely would wait until your ds is in 4th, though. JMO.

Sarai
10-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Thank you Ladies!!!