PDA

View Full Version : FAFSA tips - college funding

Kelly K
12-27-2015, 01:42 PM
We are getting ready to fill out the FAFSA for the first time. Are there any good tips you can share? It is such an unknown for me.

CINDY LB OH
12-27-2015, 06:23 PM
We've been doing it for 5 years now. My dh does them. I guess that's my only tip. :lol:

I do know there is a new thing now where you have to have your taxes filed before things can be verified. My dh always seems to have issues with the tax verification form thing. So you'll need to have all your numbers handy. Also keep your PIN number written down somewhere because you'll go back in next year with the same PIN to update for each year.

Good Luck!

Steph
12-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Set aside a huge chunk of time....especially the first time. Have your taxes handy and your dc taxes if he filed and any other investments you might have.

Vicki P in VA
12-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Do it as soon as you possibly can in the year (after taxes, as the others said above). The earlier you file, the more grant $$ is available.

Kelly K
12-27-2015, 10:19 PM
So do we have to have this year's taxes done before we do the FAFSA?

Rebe
01-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Kelly, my SIL just answered a similar question on FB and I thought of you. I had been wondering this myself. She said:

"You can go in later after you complete your taxes for 2015 and amend it. It gives you a "will file" option for now. If you file electronically, when you go back to make corrections you can pull from a data retrieval tool from the IRS."

This is her second kid in college, so she's filled this out a few times.

Kelly K
01-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Rebe!!!

Rebe
01-01-2016, 08:27 PM
I bookmarked this page for next year:

www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/announcements/fafsa-changes

Because starting with 2017-18, there are lots of changes, including using your 2015 tax forms instead of 2016, which means you can file as early as October 1, 2016 using your completed 2015 tax forms.

Cindy in CA
01-12-2016, 02:19 PM
I have a couple questions ladies?

Is there a point to file since my son will be going to community college? :unsure:

My x files taxes with the boys as dependents. Does that mean HE would have to file the forms for fasfa? I am guessing yes. :unsure: