PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbooking and FIAR

Stacy in OR
06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I am going to try out notebooking this year with my girls. We are also going to do a bit more scrapbooking. For those who do both, do you put all your FIAR photos in your FIAR notebook or do you have a seperate photo album for FIAR activities/field trips and other photos? I am trying to decide if I should keep these two seperate activities because we will have other photos like Keepers of the Faith Club and regular life photos.

Does anyone have a source for quality scrapbooks at an affordable price? I have purchased Creative Memories for my own scrapbooking, but I can't afford to buy one for each of my girls.

Thanks in advance!

MichelleL in Tn
06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
As far as scrapbooking goes I keep each child their own album. I include pictures throughout the year in that, I also put in a little artwork in their each year. But this really just hits the highlights. (I usually watch for sales at Hobby Lobby -when they go on 1/2 price and then I stock up.) I prefer the 3 ring kind of albums for ongoing albums.

As for school work and having a more specific album for that:

I got an idea from a MelissaC about a week ago. (She did something like this for her ds-but she used a clear cover 3 ring binder.

Anway, I put together a 1st grade folder for ds. I used a 10 cent folder and laminated his 1st grade picture onto the front of the cover, and put stickers on it that said 1st grade. Then I used page protectors inside to put a sampling of his work from 1st grade. In the first one I listed curriculum we used etc. Then I have it divided with title pages to separate the subjects.
I have his reading logs he wrote in there, then a Bible Cover page then some scriptures he wrote, then Math cover page-then samplings of math throughout the year etc. I also did this for LA, Art and Science. I also included some stuff he did at co-op and you could put in another cover page and then include pics throughout the year.

Melissa put quite a few pics of her ds and him doing projects and also things that were too large she took pics and put the in the album.)

This past year we did lapbooks-1 per FIAR study. But this coming year we will be doing a notebook/scrapbook similar to what Sheri does.

I am keeping a separate album for keepers/contender's clubs-since these are clubs.

Anyway HTH

Samantha
06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not a big scrapbooker (yet) so I don't have the quandry of putting the pictures in the main scrapbook or a special one. However, I've been thinking more about how to merge our lapbooking that we already do with scrapbooking which we would like to do.

I think we're going to do a notebook--probably in a spiral bound scrapbook, by the way. I'm still going to make minit books with them like we've done for our lapbooks, but I'm going to take the minit books and mat them like I would a scrapbook element. I'll also include photos, matted and mounted like in a scrapbook. We'll also include some journaling about the photos. So I think it will turn out like a scrapbook/lapbook/notebook. :lol:

I love having our lapbooks to look back at, but I kind of wish they were all bound together somehow--hence my new idea. And if we don't like it...we can always change!

Nancy Ann
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I keep all of our school pictures in our family photo album.

I am familar with the Creative Memories albums and that would be really expensive to scrapbook for school. You can purchase Notebook scrapbooks. They are the same quality, acid free paper but spiral bound. I suppose the down size is you can't add pages to the book. I have seen some at Michaels for $10. Target did not have any, but I haven't checked out Walmart yet.

Katherine in CA
06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi, Stacy! :hi:

Did you see this thread on spiral-bound scrapbooks? Scroll down to the link, and you'll be amazed at the prices! :thumb:

http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=10859&highlight=bare

Mary FL
06-06-2007, 06:02 PM
My thought would be to have a separate scrapbook for school stuff--FIAR, field trips, and so on.

I buy my albums at Michael's. Typically, you can use a 40 to 50 percent off any item coupon so it makes it very affordable.

What a great idea!

Stacy in OR
06-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Katherine! I had seen that link and decided on those spiral books for our Fiar/Beyond FIAR notebooks. As for the scrapbooking (I guess photo albums would be a better name), I was thinking of something that I could put page protectors over and have photo quality paper. However this may not be an option since I need enough for four girls (and two coming up the ranks behind them) and even though $10 at Michael's is a great price, that is still $40.

Mary, I think I will go with the two books like you suggested. One for FIAR and one for everything else - a regular photo album. I always forget about those coupons for Michael's since I rarely shop there. Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to check the paper Sunday.

And yes, Michelle, the 3-ring binder with page protectors is another option if I'm not concerned about photo-safe. This is actually an economical and versatile way to go. I like the idea of being able to add pages. :unsure:

You are all so good at giving suggestions - could someone just make the decision for me???:lol:

MichelleL in Tn
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
And yes, Michelle, the 3-ring binder with page protectors is another option if I'm not concerned about photo-safe. This is actually an economical and versatile way to go. I like the idea of being able to add pages. :unsure:

:

Just to clarify..I use the 3 ring binder kind of scrapbooks. They have acid free pages with page protectors and are 12X12.

In ds school album (the one in the 10 cent folder) I did sheet protectors and saved work-that was not acid free stuff. But in all my scrapbooks-(albums) they are acid free.

The spiral is also acid free the one we will use with FIAR-but I really am not real concerned about the work being acid free-just where I am putting pictures.

I also got both dc a school memories album from ABC distribtuing so I could put pics and some papers from each school year.
I just added some stickers on top of the word School to spell out HOME (School Memories)

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=426&P=179&Rec=1&Ntt=school+memories&N=35&Nao=0&R=5975

carriejoy
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Katherine! I had seen that link and decided on those spiral books for our Fiar/Beyond FIAR notebooks. As for the scrapbooking (I guess photo albums would be a better name), I was thinking of something that I could put page protectors over and have photo quality paper. However this may not be an option since I need enough for four girls (and two coming up the ranks behind them) and even though $10 at Michael's is a great price, that is still $40.

:unsure:

You are all so good at giving suggestions - could someone just make the decision for me???:lol:

Stacy, you could also just purchase 1 or 2 albums and start building those. If you buy the kind that have pages that can be removed/added, then when $$ allows, you can simply purchase the new book, put in the previously completed pages and keep on going. I like the idea of "real" scrapbooking but honestly, I"m too much of a perfectionist to actually get it done. I'm looking at simply going digital like Michelle in NJ! Then printing the pages and voila!

I also don't think I'm going to do a separate "scrapbook" for FIAR photos. I think I'll include those w/in the context of whatever book/project we're working on.

Stacy in OR
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Carriejoy, This is a great idea. I went to Michael's last night, but I didn't see any of the 3-ring photo albums that everyone is talking about. I did look at Staples and their page protectors and some brands of cardstock are acid-free. My husband suggested starting with the regular 81/2 x 11 3 ring binders, cardstock, and page protectors and then allowing the girls to purchase their own albums and supplies as their interest grows. This seems like an especially good idea for the littlest ones.

I am a perfectionist too and that is why I am having my girls do the scrapbooking instead of me:roflol: !!! Are you refering to the digital photo albums by Creative Memories? This seems like such a great idea, but I haven't really looked into it.

Kendra AU
06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Stacey.. if you have a HOBBY LOBBY in your area not only do they tend to have AWESOME prices, they have ONLINE printable coupons every week. Usually it's a 50% off ANY item (you can use it ONCE per person PER day PER week.. in other words YOU can use it SEVEN times in a week...) then they will have it for something else, then back to 50% off. Plus they have good sales on scrapbooking items all the time.

The Hobby Lobby I use to frequent not only had the three ring binder style scrapbooks but they had "fold out" plastic protectors. You could put in twice as much that way, and it was also really neat if we had an over sized project we were trying to put up.

Kendra

elkwise
06-08-2007, 08:30 PM
For the kid scrap books/ notebooks I use the zipper 3 ring binders, I buy them during back to school sales. We then uses 3 ring page protectors and cardstock or scrapbook paper for the pages. I also use pencil pouches or folders to store pieces, pictures, supplies until they are glued down. I love having the zipper because everything stays inside; nothing falls out and gets lost. If we have to put it away before we finish we just zip it up and everything is ready for the next time.

Erin

Denise, Guam
06-09-2007, 04:40 PM

If you use acid free card stock I don't think this is an issue? It is very inexpensive and being able to move pages around is great.