PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that scrapbook/notebook, I have a question...

Shannon F.
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
We started our scrapbook with our first study of Ping and my ds really loved it. The other day he found a little baby bird in our yard after a storm and immediately went inside to grab a sketch pad. So, my question is this...do you ONLY put the FIAR stuff into your scrapbook/notebook or do you include all the studies? I would think that in a notebook it is a little easier because you can just add another divider and put it in there; but in a scrapbook (one where you are gluing right onto the pages) you can't really move things around. What should I do?:unsure:

Shannon F.
06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh, and I wanted to add that I really wanted the scrapbook to be something that we could show other people (and review ourselves) all the fun things we do in homeschooling. My ds is coming out of public K, so I know that people (family) will want to see TANGIBLE work or PROOF of his learning (according to them), kwim?

karendg
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I like a notebook with sheet protectors for this very reason. I like to be able to move things around. :)

Jennifer in TX
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I've been thinking about having a seperate notebook for nature drawings, pictures, etc.

Kendra AU
06-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Jennifer, what we did relating to our Ping study would go in our notebook. I'm planning to officially start nature notebooks in a few weeks here. The idea is to use a notebook just for nature sketches and info about them.

So if my son had sketched the bird in the front yard, we'd identify it, and so on, and then I'd throw a party (inside anyway) because I'd be so delighted he took the opportunity to do so! hehe

My son is a complete nature freak, he loves it. His idea of light reading is to walk around with at least one animal encyclopedia tucked under his arm with about fifty pages marked that he wants to know something about or has something to tell me about those pages. He listens all ears when I read the info he wanted to know to him as well.

My idea for the nature notebook would simple be to have him sketch the animal or object. Then we'd paste that paper into his notebook. Write the date at the top of the page and the name of the object/animal. I plan to read him a small paragraph about the thing we've sketched (i plan to make one as well to "lead by example..") and then ask him to tell me something about the object and for now I'll write what he dictates to me. I know when he's done he'll be VERY proud of his little book. :)

Anyway.. as for the scrapbook/notebook that we do I put all our FIAR study in it. If we do science papers those go in it, extra coloring sheets, foreign language "stuff", etc. I think some of the ladies have pictures posted. I'd share some of ours, but they are still packed at the moment....

Kendra

Lisa in Virginia
06-07-2007, 08:54 AM
We made a spiral bound FIAR scrapbook. We also have a separate nature journal that is also spiral bound.

I tried to do the sheet protector method but what happens with me is that I don't put the paper in right away and I have all these papers laying around. The scrapbook has worked wonderfully for us this year and the kids like doing it and looking through it later.

carriejoy
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm starting a "nature journal" in its own notebook. However, for the "nonFiar" stuff, I think I'm just going to keep everything in 1 notebook. It is too much for me to keep track of. Things will be in chronological order of when we did them rather than a subject division or curriculum division. One of the things I love love love aobut FIAR is how EVERYTHING you need is right there outside of teaching reading and math.