PDA

View Full Version : easy geometry?

Joy in Alabama
07-07-2016, 08:42 PM
I've got to have an easy geometry for Thomas, who is math phobic but must have geometry to graduate.

Go!

Joy in Alabama
07-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Life of Fred? Does it explain the concepts very well? We've only used LOF fractions.....

Michele
07-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Perhaps check out TabletClass. John Zimmerman (the author/creator) also provides individual tutoring as an additional service. We've found him to be an amazing resource. LASTLY, it's reasonably priced (and on sale).

Linda
07-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Ive been really impressed with The Math Tutor lessons. I've never looked at Geometry, but from the DVD's I have used, he is excellent. I think there might be online help as well, but I'm not sure.
http://www.mathtutordvd.com/products/The-Geometry-Tutor.cfm

Just noticed that this is meant to aid the geometry student, not a full class like his other dvd's. Well, maybe it would help with whatever else you use? :unsure:

Rebe
07-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Life of Fred? Does it explain the concepts very well? We've only used LOF fractions.....

IMO, this would be the worst possible curriculum you could pick. LOF is for students who are mathy and/or have mathy parents. My dd is pretty mathy but abandoned LOF in high school at the advanced algebra level and went back to Teaching Textbooks. We owned LOF Geometry but sold it because my dd said she absolutely did not want to do it -- it was very difficult.

We've found TT to be good for both mathy and non-mathy students who have a mom who can't teach them high school level math. That would be me. :D

Kelly K
07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
I totally agree with Rebe on both accounts. We used TT. LoF is cerebral.

Joy in Alabama
07-08-2016, 08:31 PM
IMO, this would be the worst possible curriculum you could pick. LOF is for students who are mathy and/or have mathy parents. My dd is pretty mathy but abandoned LOF in high school at the advanced algebra level and went back to Teaching Textbooks. We owned LOF Geometry but sold it because my dd said she absolutely did not want to do it -- it was very difficult.

We've found TT to be good for both mathy and non-mathy students who have a mom who can't teach them high school level math. That would be me. :D

I agree with you about TT. My dd Anna, who was not mathy, loved it. However, I sold the TT geometry because Thomas HATED HATED HATED it. :( He really likes Math Relief Algebra, so I might buy his geometry. It's just a guy standing in front of a white board explaining it all over and over, but Thomas gets it.

Thank you for telling me about the LOF. I almost bought a used one.

Well, back to the drawing board...... He is going through algebra at a snail's pace and I had not planned to even get to geometry, but I've joined a new school and it's required to graduate.