PDA

View Full Version : Please help with notebooking adhesive

Stacy in OR
06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I am trying to figure out the best glue to use for our notebooking and scrapbooking. I don't think glue sticks are strong enough, Elmer's white is too messy, scrapbooking dispensers seem too difficult for the younger ones, etc.

I saw blue glue gel on a different thread. Has anyone actually used it? I thought because it is washable that it might not be as durable.

What have you found that is easy enough for the four year old, but holds up over time?

Thanks in advance!!

carriejoy
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
double sided tape, glue dots & the phrase "dot dot not a lot" when working w/ elmers!

Kristina
06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I was thinking about good ole rubber cement. Has anyone tried that?

Kristina

Kendra AU
06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Actually, glue sticks are strong enough, but you have to be careful because they can often "wrinkle" the paper. We've yet to have any problem, wrinkling aside, from glue sticks not being strong enough and we've even used the super cheaps ones.

My favorite adhesive use to be obtainable at the Wal-Mart in TN near where I lived, but they stopped carrying it and I had to order it on-line. It's called MEMORY TAPE RUNNER XL by THERM O WEB. I usually bought the XL refills after having one hard case. They weren't pricey at all.

It rolled on very easily, just as if you were doing scotch tape. My kids had no problems with them, and they are only 3 and 6. Xyron has a wide tape runner called the CHEETAH 2. It's most certainly strong enough, but can be REALLY sticky and hard to dispense tape for an adult..

Rubber cement would probably be okay because it tends to dry quickly. Elmer's Glue is so-so as long as you use the afore mentioned strategy of using a little because you need it to dry before your child turns his page! lol

Kendra

Beth T
06-08-2007, 02:51 AM
I've used the Scotch Scrapbooker's Glue with the kids. It's has a 2 way applicator (thick and thin). It's really easy to use. Since it's for scrapbooking I feel better using it for our FIAR notebook since I want it to last. I would worry about using rubber cement for the long term stuff. But this glue is great for the kids and they can't make a mess with it. I think a 4 yr. old would be fine with it. Hope that helps!

Jennifer in TX
06-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I am a rubber cement adict. I use it for EVERYTHING! :roflol: It works perfectly in our notebook. I love that it sticks yet you can peel the adhered item off if you want to reposition it. The cement dries quickly (unlike Elmer's) so we're not waiting around when dd puts on too much and she hasn't had anything ruined by having the cement soak through her picture (unlike Elmer's). When she does put too much on and it goops over the side, we just wait the couple seconds till it dries and then rub off the excess.

I may need a 12 step program. Rubber cement is awesome!!!

Beth in FL
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Kendra, just fyi, I think the problem with glue sticks is not that they don't adhere well initially but that they won't hold up over time. At our recent state convention, Tammy Duby of Tobin's Lab, who has long experience with lapbooks, said not to use glue sticks because as the years pass, your lapbook (or notebook) will fall apart. That Scrapbooker's Glue sounds intriguing ...

annmarieseiler
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Adhesive runners (a good one that is refillable, not the cheap disposable ones) and glue dots.

DD in IL
06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I do like using the dots. For heavier plastic or metal type stuff I use a blue roll on type gel made by Zig. I also use the tape rollers that Sam's carries (red outer plastic covers---4 to a package).