PDA

View Full Version : Go along for A Pair of Red Clogs

Waverley
06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
May We Sleep Here Tonight? by Tan Koide would be a good go-along for A Pair of Red Clogs. The book was originally published in Japan and both the author and illustrator are Japanese. Following is an article I wrote about the book for an early childhood education program.

May We Sleep Here Tonight? By Tan Koide

Oh dear- its dark, the fog has rolled in, and there are animals out in the woods! But itís the little animals that are lost and looking for a safe, warm place to spend the night. Join the three little gophers, two bunny rabbits, and three raccoons as they meet one another in a warm house and anxiously wait for the houseís owner to return. My children hid their eyes like the little animals when the owner, a big black bear, comes in the house and pulls back the covers on the bed. To everyoneís surprise, bear treats them all to a warm dinner and then they all crawl into bearís big bed together.

Some activities to do while reading the book:

ē After youíve read the book once, go back to the first page and look in the lower left corner. Through the fog, you can make out the shape of bear as he goes out into the fog to look for lost creatures. Show your child the picture of bear.

ē On each page after the gophers enter the house, there are clues as to whom the house belongs. For example, the door knob is shaped like a bearís head, the bed posts are carved to look like a bearís head, the bookend on the shelf above the bed is shaped like a bear, and the picture on the shelf above the bed is of three bears. Point a few of these clues out to your child then see if your child can find some more clues.

ē Show your child the gopher wearing the red bandana around his neck. With each new page, this little gopher gets sleepy and then sleeps through all the excitement. But in the end, when all the animals are asleep, this gopher stays up to finish a late night snack!

ē This book was originally published in Japan and both the author and illustrator are Japanese. Consider pointing out to your child the Japanese writing on the items in bearís house. For example, the writing on the items on the kitchen shelves, on the map on the back of the door, and on the books on the shelf above the bed are all in Japanese.

Hope this helps someone.

Sharon C
06-08-2007, 05:33 AM
this sounds cool. my little ones LOVE A Pair of Red Clogs.:group:

Kristina
06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
I find myself applying FIAR type lessons to all books that we read. Thanks for showing us how to make more of this book. I'll look for it at the library.

Warmly,
Kristina