PDA

View Full Version : Papa Piccolo and appreciating Great Books!

Christie
06-08-2007, 12:40 PM
FIAR really does teach appreciation for great books! I came downstairs this morning to find DS reading some new library books. As soon as he saw me, he held up one that he had finished and said, "We should do this one for FIAR!" It was Papa Piccolo, and he didn't know it is for FIAR! I said, "It looks good, huh? What was it about?" And he then narrated the whole story to me. Before we started FIAR last fall, my kids did not appreciate good books and only looked at their silly books of retellings of Disney movies. Now when we go to the thrift store and look for books, my DD says, "Only FIAR books, right, Mom?" (She means FIAR and FIAR-style books/authors, and she can spot the good ones!)

Beth in FL
06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
That is neat, Christie! I'm glad to hear it, too, because my sons aren't all that into books (or sitting still) at the moment. They like them, and we do read, but I expect/hope when I start FIAR this fall it will ignite a much bigger interest. Thanks for sharing.

Christie
06-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I should clarify that they still like to look at those other books on their own, but they now also like these good books and ask for the good ones to be read aloud! DD had just turned 4 when we started FIAR and she could hardly sit for the longer books at first, and rarely opened any book on her own. I never knew which book would be long or short when I reserved them at the library, so we just went with them even if they were long. The shorter ones were easier on both of us at the beginning though.

It was a great day recently when she asked for FIAR time and all we did was read book after book for 40 minutes. It was truly a sign of her interest and growth over the last 8 months!

I wish you the best in starting FIAR!

Beth in FL
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Christie! I'm really looking forward to it, and I've gotten so much GREAT information and encouragement on these boards.