PDA

View Full Version : Any cool ideas for vocabulary words?

Jeni
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't like index cards, they inevitably get lost. I'm wanting something I can put in a notebook. I have notebook page templates that I'm thinking of using but I wondering if anyone else has any neat ideas for recording vocabulary words.

TIA

Tamie_in_MI
06-13-2007, 08:51 PM
I often write the meaning of the word IN THE BOOK so I read it as if it's part of the story.

For example: The environment was the perfect setting for this frog.

I'd read as: The environment, surroundings/living, space was the perfect setting for this frog.

I have the words "surroundings/living space" penciled in just at the word that I'm defining.

I often read the story 3 or 4 times with these added words.

DD in IL
06-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I just took a folder with the 3 prongs and printed out the sheets I was using and put them in there. He has a place to write the word, a place to put in his own definition, a place for synonym and antonyms (sorry can't spell tonight). A place to draw a picture concerning the word and then a place to write down about what he drew. He enjoys doing it.

Rebecca G
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Jeni,

We usually put our vocabulary words in our FIAR notebook, along with the story we read...and for my visual son, I let him illustrate a picture that reminds him of that word for later reference.

This has worked beautifully for us:)

Kristina
06-15-2007, 01:56 AM
One thing that you can do is to use a hole punch in the corner of the index cards and then a key ring to hold them together. We play a game with the cards. If she knows it, she gets to keep it, if not, I keep it. Whoever has the most cards at the end "wins".

Kristina