PDA

View Full Version : Native American books for FIAR or B4?

Robin H in VA
06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi, are there any Native American books in FIAR or any books that would tie into a Native American theme?

My 6 yro ds is really into Native Americans now, and I would like to keep that fire lit. I am planning to take him to his first (well, mine and dh too) Pow Wow this summer. There is usually a local one very near us.

He is really into Tourquise (sp?) right now too, so we are also looking for books about stones.

My dh and I have Native American blood in us, and so does ds and we want him to know his heritage and know who Native Americans really are. KWIM. I don't want him to think they were bad people and killed others all the time.

Anyway, if there are any books in FIAR or if you just know of any good books that might be of interest, please let me know.

Thanks

TonyaP
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
The Very Last First Time is about an Inuit girl.

AndreaD
06-13-2007, 09:26 PM
The ones that come to my mind are vol 4 titles- Cowboy Charlie - goes into Native Americans- Cowboy Charlie lives with the Blood Indian tribe for a while. For Turquiose- We studied rocks and minerals and gems and such with Roxaboxen.

I think there are a few Native American unit studies on www.homeschoolshare.com

Wende
06-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Last week we did a unit on rocks springboarding off of Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran (FIAR vol. 4). We made these stepping stones from kits, rock candy, made rock cycle mini books, and read these other books:
The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth by Joanna Cole
Rocks and Minerals by Edward Ricciuti (Level 3 Reader)
Rocks and Minerals by Mary Packard
Miracle Salt by Mae M. Vander Boom
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig

As for Native Americans, as I recall, the subject was mentioned in They Were Strong and Good, we rowed that a few years ago. I don't remember it being in a positive light though, I'm recalling the NA taking food from the pioneers or something like that. The volume 2 manual doesn't really address it, leaving you to teach your child about it as you see fit.

We have read many good books about Native Americans though:
Conquista! By Clyde Robert Bulla (about a young NA boy seeing his first horse)
Paddle to the Sea by Holling
Good Hunting, Blue Sky By Parish (early reader)
The Famous Battle of Bravery Creek By Hall (short chapter book about the different perspectives of early battles. Very funny)
Little Chief By Hoff (early reader)
Where the Buffalo Begin by Baker (picture book)
Hiawatha

HTH,

Tamara D
06-14-2007, 09:41 AM
We are finding that more than a few of the Caldecott Medal Winners are about legends from different cultures. The Girl Who Loved Horses is the one that comes to mind that you might be interested in, but I think if you read the synopsis of likely-sounding titles you will find other Caldecott Medal Winners that are what you're looking for.