PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce "lupine"?

Stacy in OR
06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I have always pronounced lupine with a long "i". My daughter called several local nurseries trying to locate some lupine plants to purchase. She said that all of the nurseries pronounced it with a short "i" (loo-pin). I looked it up in our dictionary (which is a very OLD dictionary), and the pronunciation was a long "i" like I was use to pronouncing it. Maybe it is pronounced differently in different regions??? (We are in the northwest).

At any rate, we have two new beautiful lupine plants in our backyard thanks to Miss Rumphius!

Charity White
06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I say "loo-pine" - long "i", afterall, it does have an e at the end! ;)
I've heard "loo-peen" and "loo-pen" both! I'm guessing it's regional - like you said.

carriejoy
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I pronounce it with the long "i" too, however, where I was in Alaska, the folks there call it Loo-pin with the short "i"

It is growing wild on the side of the roads up here. I want to dig a few up and bring home. I just love them. I'd also like to try seed collecting and sprouting them in the spring!

No help eh? ;0

TinaM
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Long /I/.

Christie
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I say "loo-pin.":)

Hannah in N.Ireland
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Here we say 'loo-pin'.

karendg
06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
loo-pine

molly b
06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
My sons loved Very Last First Time so much and from that grew an interest in husky dogs, you know, that run in that arctic race, the iditarod. I've looked on the web dictionaries for pronunciation of "iditarod" and can't seem to find it. A book about the race just arrived today in the mail. Does anyone know how to pronounce "iditarod"?

Thanks so much to anyone who might know!

Molly B - mom to four boys!

karendg
06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
iditarod eye-DIT-a-rod

Katherine in CA
06-15-2007, 04:37 PM
As beautiful as they are, and no matter how you pronounce them, they're still poisonous:

http://uuhsc.utah.edu/poison/plants/index.cfm?action=main.ViewPlant&plant_id=6

Isn't that weird? :crazy:

Stacy in OR
06-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Katherine, Thanks for sharing the poisonous part, afterall, we just planted two in our backyard and we have "wee" ones running around. The nurseries have a hard time keeping the lupine in stock because they are so popular here. I wonder how many people know they're poisonous!

Carriejoy, Those lupines that are growing wild on the side of the road could fetch a pretty penny at the nurseries. The nursery we bought ours at wanted to charge $25 per plant, but we got them for $10 thanks to my kids. The clerk thought they were cute!

It looks like loo-pine and loo-pin are both correct:) .

Esthir
06-16-2007, 12:17 AM
From my understanding, only the pod seeds are poisonous, but I might be wrong. I used to have them in my garden and as soon as they were done flowering, I would cut the stem off. I doesn't look nice after flowering anyway.

This article differenciate between Sweet lupins (edible apparently) and hybrid ones (poisonous).

http://www.hotfact.com/lupin.html

Esther