PDA

View Full Version : Our fun with Giraffe

Jeni
06-18-2007, 10:38 PM
We are having a great time with this book! We colored a map yesterday and talked about the differences of France and Egypt, about citizenship and diplomacy and gifts to other nations. Today we talked about caring for animals and the different things that were done for La Girafe. I described a duckbilled platypus to them and had them draw from my description and then we looked at and talked about real platypuses. Tomarrow we are going to take a piece of freezer paper and draw a life size picture of La Giraffe and trace their bodies on there for comparison. We'll also talk about setting and make vocabulary pages. We're going to the zoo to see some real giraffes on Thursday and then we're going to talk about expression and humor in art and make some more pictures on Friday.

This is the first book of our 2007 - 2008 school year and I've fallen in love with FIAR all over again. :hcry:

Dh's away on TDY and I just had to share our fun with someone. :lol:

Christie
06-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a great week. I liked your drawing of the platypus instruction. Sounds fun!

NicoleinWA
06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
How fun! We've never rowed this book, and it was just given to us as a gift! :clap:

My dh is in the Air Force, Jeni, how long will yours be gone?

Jeni
06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
I can't take credit for the platypus idea... it's in the manual under Science. :D I just modified it a little and had them pretend to be the scientist that drew the picture for the King without ever having seen a giraffe.

Nicole, he's just gone to 7 level school. He left this past Saturday and will be back on the 30th. His shortest TDY ever :lol: He's always been gone 4 - 6 months and collected war zone pay on the past TDYs. It wouldn't be so bad except we only had 46 hours notice before he left. They weren't going to send him and then changed their minds at the last minute. :unsure:

ETA: I just noticed I changed my sig :crazy: my dh is AF too BTW.

Paige P
06-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Sounds great, Jeni! I'm anxious to get a hold of this book so I CAN row it :) One day......... I love your "life-sized" giraffe idea. So you're using freezer paper -- what's that? Is it wax paper? Are you just going to do the giraffe's height, or are you going to "make" the giraffe (as in body and legs, as well?). Just wondering for the day when we do this.

Have a great week!
Paige

Jeni
06-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Paige, I paid alot more than I usually do for a book to get my hands on Giraffe but it has been well worth it. :thumb:

The life size giraffe is really just an extension of a manual idea for math. We're going to use freezer paper because it comes in a long roll and you can cut itwhatever length you need. (you can find it where you buy wax paper and foil. It's just white paper that has been laminated on one side. We use it for finger painting since the paint can't soak through :thumb:) La Giraffe was 11 feet tall so we will measure 11 feet on the freezer paper and draw (as best we can) a giraffe that is 11 feet tall. Then I thought it would be neat to "body trace" the kids on there to show how they measure up to an 11 foot giraffe. I plan to take pictures to put in our FIAR scrapbooks. I can post them here too. :)

I'm really a simple gal, almost all my lessons come straight from the manual or are slightly modified lessons from the manual. :thumb:

MarieD
06-19-2007, 08:46 AM
The Giraffe that Walked to Paris is our absolute favorite!! I rowed it three times with my oldest and I can't wait to row it with my youngest! I still place it on our library's ILL every now and then, to be sure I can still get it when I want it.

It is the one book that makes me stop at every garage sale and library sale, hoping some kid was through with it and decided to sell/donate it. I'm determined to find a deal. :lol:

Love the idea of drawing a life size for comparison! You could also "draw to scale" if the math isn't too advanced.