PDA

View Full Version : science?

Barb from Sask
06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Could any of you help me? I am uncertain if we are getting a proper science
expirience. Will the subjects covered help my children get a solid background in God's creation and will it help lead them to Him? Any suggestions would be appreciated and comforting. I am so pleased that I researched home education when our oldest was 3. He is 8.5 years old.

~christa~
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Are you using FIAR soley for science or have you added another sceince curriculum along with FIAR?

TonyaP
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
FIAR will introduce you to a variety of science concepts without any specific non-religious overtones. The program in general does not shy from referencing God, but since the study plan is for the parent to read- you can choose what to add or leave out. There's not deep discussion of evolution or creation as it's not an "in-depth" science program. (That's my understanding anyway. Though I've only rowed Volume 1 so I can't speak as to the other volumes.)

If you do wish to supplement with additional science, you might want to review some of the previous posts on The Three R's board or post a question for guidance in seeking a science program. There are many creation based programs out there. I has one volume from Christian Liberty Press and another from Abeka, but I know there are many others to choose from.
:)

Wendy KY
06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
FIAR introduces all areas of science--life science, physical science, chemistry, physics for the ages 5-8 using a variety of lessons. Some are experiments. In Beyond these areas are delved into deeper for ages 8-12. The foundation is solid in all areas of science as an introduction for your dc.

If your dc shows an extra interest in a particular lesson or area of science, this is a great time to go to the library and let him choose books to read on that subject and/or books with experiments that he can add to his learning. For this he can use a science log book where he can record his experiments and findings. BTW in this kind of log book he wouldn't erase any errors made in experiments. That's what scientists do in their journals. Even the mistakes are important;) Check out a book called, Mistakes that Worked, it was fascinating!

As far as relating all of what he learns in science to the Glory of God, that's where you and he discuss his wonders and works of His mightly hands. Look for scriptures in Psalms and Genesis and other books of the Bible that tell of His great deeds and work. When discussing say how flowers are pollinated by bees, share how great God is to think of how they work together to bring us more flowers and make honey for us to eat. :D

As far as will it help him lead him to God--that's a big question. We are all drawn to God in different ways and through different circumstances. What you are doing is sharing your faith in Jesus with him and showing him the wonders that are evident around him and with a little observation he can begin to ask his own questions and learn to develop his own relationship with Jesus. :group:

Esthir
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I grew up in the country in a christian home; nowdays, I do feel the marvel of God at nature. I have some heads of lettuce and two tomato plants and I visit them everyday, every time a seed germinates, I feel the goodness of the Lord and I pass this sense of wonder to my children.

What I am trying to say is that your words won't be forgotten. As a little girl I would look into the night sky and I would know that God placed the stars there. It would give me a sence of security. My mum and granny didn't have any curriculum, I went to ps, but your words do affect your little ones. Keep showing them the wisdom, kindness and humour of our Creator.

Esther

Jane Claire
06-21-2007, 05:28 PM
If you combine the science lessons in Five in a Row with the lessons from the Five in a Row Christian Character Bible Supplement, you will certainly find the study of God's amazing world leading to solid worship of Him! There are countless Bible references to various aspects of creation, filled with glory and wonder.

If you want a quick overview of what is included in just the science lessons in the manual, check the index under Science. Since one year, for most families, is more than one manual, there will be even more than is listed.

Blessings,

Barb from Sask
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
:clap: Thankyou for your wonderful advice. There is such a variety of ways to learn for each of our children and we parents want to do it all the right way. It's hard to give oneself's a break, isn't it!