PDA

View Full Version : I need more explanation of "notebooking"

Susan in Kentucky
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
I just ordered my FIAR Volumes and haven't gotten them yet so this may be an unnecessary question. I'm not sure I am understanding about the "notebooking/lapbooking" that I am reading about. Is this explained in the FIAR volumes? I am new to HS (dd just finished K) and much of the 'lingo" is unfamiliar.

Thanks for any help.

Christie
06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
The notebook explanation in the manuals could be adapted to lapbooking/notebooking. The manuals describe activities (such as listmaking, vocabulary, maps) that are stored in 3 ring notebooks, divided by subject matter (a section for LA, for Social Studies, etc), if I'm remembering right.

Lapbooking or notebooking (like scrapbooking), arranges, by book, all those same learning activities together. So you would put the map, vocab, art project, etc on the same 2 page spread in your notebook or filefolder, instead of separating it out by subject.

Any tangible product of your lessons from the manual can be put in your notebook/lapbook. We also take pictures that I print off on regular paper to put in our notebooks, if the project is not "notebookable!"

Beth in FL
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi, Susan. You can find a lot of information about notebooking on the Web. Here's (http://www.notebookingpages.com/)one site to get you started. It's got free notebooking pages and a lot of information about what it is and how to get started. Another resource is the blogs of our own FIAR forum members, some of whom post photos of their notebooking creations. Sheri and SoniaM come to mind. You can go to the members' list to get to their Web sites. (SoniaM's homeschool site is linked from her blog, but here's (http://www.geocities.com/yeshuaeducare4life/index.html)the URL.) I am planning to notebook in the fall when we get started with FIAR, and I think it's going to enrich our learning so much! HTH.

Christie
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Also, did you see FIAR's digital page, with examples of the fold-n-learns?

TonyaP
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Here are some links on the topic:
http://www.lessons.hwtk.net/timelines.html

Rebe
06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
FIAR isn't presented in the manuals with regard to notebooking or lapbooking. You can do this curriculum very successfully without doing either one! If you have the time and inclination (and more importantly, if your dc are interested in doing it), notbooking and/or lapbooking are great. But they're not necessary.

It's easy for newbies to get overwhelmed with lots of extra things that can be added to FIAR. You can do these things, but you don't have to. :)

NicoleinWA
06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I used FIAR for 3 years with my older 2, and we never used notebooking, or anything additional- except loads of additional supplemental books. :lol:

Sheri
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi!! We just started notebooking SUCCESSFULLY this year, what I mean is, we tried different methods, because I always thought it looked great, but we only found how to work it into our schooling this last school year.

You can see samples of some of our notebook pages here (http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/search/label/Notebooking). (I am not 100% positive that will pull up all of the notebooks, but there is also a list on the left side of my blog of notebooking pages that are on my blog)

One thing to know though: Notebooking is by no means a requirement for FIAR. I just like the tangible hands-on work in notebooks and the organization required for them. Having notebooks helps hold me accountable.

Oh any lapbooking is a little different, in that you use file folders to create seperate lapbooks for each book.

AND don't forget to check out the Lambert's digital store for some great lapbooks they have created to go along with their books, if you do decide that notebooking/lapbooking is for you.

Jen in SC
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Sheri] Having notebooks helps hold me accountable.

QUOTE]

Same here. And I have done what Sheri does with scrapbooks. My girls loved doing the scrapbooks and so that is a big motivation to make our FIAR lessons that much "more." I have never done lapbooking though. We'll be doing some FIAR fold-n-leanrs this year and just addeing the elements to our scrapbooks. :)

Tanya
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I've been online for over 3 hours at my husband's office while answering the phones. I initially logged onto FIAR to read and do some posting, however... this was one of the first threads I looked at and kept going onto the different links you all suggested for notebooking.

I don't notebook but have tried a lapbook before. Many of the writings we do at home could easily become part of our notebooks. So that is what I'm planning to do for our space unit we are working on right now.

I grabbed two blue folders from my husbands closet of business supplies and folded them like a lapbook and printed a bunch of free downloads for notebooking templates I plan to use.

Thanks!! I think we'll be able to store their units this way and it'll be something we look at again and again.:clap: