PDA

View Full Version : The British are coming! The British are coming!

Jean in TX
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
As we speak, the town of Boston is growing in my driveway, and Paul Revere is in my bedroom, rehearsing for his midnight ride. :clap:

A few months ago, my kids (all long-time rowers) went to a drama club meeting to decide a theme for the local 4th of July parade and play, hosted by the local heritage society. Each year the club puts on a short play on the steps of the museum immediately following the parade and VIP speeches. My kiddos persuaded the others that Paul Revere was the highlight of the Revolutionary War era - wonder where they got that idea? ;) Must've been the re-enactments in our living room with paper 3-cornered hats and Fisher Price horses 7 years ago when we first rowed that book.

My 13 yos volunteered to write the play script - which he did beautifully, if I may brag a little. :cool: You should see the glow of pride on his face as his words come to life with the help of 10 actors and an enthusiastic director. He'll be holding the lanterns in the tower during the parade and watching the play from the audience. My 11 yod and 9 yos will be performing in the play.

The kids also designed the parade float, which will consist of a trailer with the Old North Church Tower (refrigerator box), the town of Boston (wood frame and tons of cardboard), and Paul Revere (mounted on a concrete horse). A golf cart done up as a British ship (more cardboard!!) and inhabited by British Redcoats will drive behind. The kids are spattered with paint, tired and happy, and still brainstorming how to construct the rest of this monster.

I know this never would've happened without FIAR, because it not only introduced them to the historical narrative and seduced them to fall in love, but it has also nurtured their creative spirit all these years.

Just wanted to share that with my fellow Rowers. :kiss: I did NOT plan this project for them to go along with our FIAR studies. We haven't actually studied Paul Revere in years, having moved on to Beyond with all of them. But they're all still rowers at heart.

Wonder what they'll learn and create next...

Blessings,
Jean

Hollie in SC
06-27-2007, 05:59 PM
That is excellent!:clap: :clap:

SheilaB
06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
and a link is posted, so we can watch. :D How wonderful!! :clap: :clap:

Jane Claire
06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Beyonders are Rowers, too! Isn't it fantastic? Happy Independence Day to you all! Proud of the playwright, along with you! What fun:clap:

Paige P
06-27-2007, 09:12 PM
It sounds astounding! What a tremendous learning experience! :clap: :clap:

Christie
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
How fantastic! My little ones read Paul Revere's Ride for the first time a few weeks ago, and there IS something about knowing it was a true story that has made a big impression on them.