PDA

View Full Version : Returning User trying to use the new FIAR Planner

Kellyin VT
07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi there,
I have a question for all those who have used the 2007 FIAR planner. I am somewhat new to FIAR. I say somewhat because I left for greener pastures last year only to find my heart, and the hearts of my children, wanting to go back to enjoying our school days again. SO I am really hoping and praying for a successful 2007/2008 school year :clap: That being said, I am working on planning out our year and just downloaded the new planner. My question is how do you use the weekly subject page, do you do your planning on that or do you plan on a different form and keep minimal notes on the weekly subject page. I seem to need a lot more writing space for my FIAR planning. I hope this question makes sense.......

Thanks so much I am really enjoying being back on these forums!

Kelly in VT

Cate OH
07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
:clap: Welcome back!

Don't know if this helps *but* I copied a few of the original planning sheets (from the back of the manual) to write down what I'd LIKE to do. Then I will put on the new planner sheet what we ACTUALLY do. :)

Good Luck!

Lori G
07-01-2007, 02:57 PM
I just bought the planner the other day, so I have not officially planned anything yet. :)

But I write very abbreviated and small! I am also going to use the other squares for FIAR too, not just the one that is labeled FIAR. I also intend to use just one sheet for all of my younger dc, not one sheet per child.

Susan in PA
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't know if this helps *but* I copied a few of the original planning sheets (from the back of the manual) to write down what I'd LIKE to do. Then I will put on the new planner sheet what we ACTUALLY do. :)

OOOh...I love this idea! :kiss:

Jen in SC
07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I am using my own plan book that I made, BUT... I do something similar to Cate. Works nicely for us. :yes:

Tricia O
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
What we do for planning is once we've picked out the book we want to do, we read the story & put a checkmark (in pencil) in the actual FIAR manual by the lessons we want to do. Then we put a brief description in the FIAR planner, and when we've actually done the lesson, we pencil in the manual the date we did it. We plan to keep our manuals forever, and when we get around to these books for the second time, I think it will be a nice reminder of what we covered & how long ago it was. I wish we'd done this sooner, as I don't have any specific way of remembering what we did when we first started out on the first two volumes of FIAR unless we go back & try to track down which week we did that story, which would involve looking through tons of old planning pages & systems. We do use the FIAR planner too, though I have tweaked it a bit by adding a page or two of my own, as I tend to like to personalize things a bit more (& to simplify my planning). I also like working with Excel spreadsheets. Yes, I am weird that way. :lol: I also made a separate page for us to describe (after we've covered the lessons) what we covered in each subject area, as well as what pages of the manual the lessons are on, and a part for listing additional resources. I'd be happy to send you a copy of my file if you'd like. Just email me.

Kellyin VT
07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! I think I am being overly wordy on my planning sheets because I want to be as prepared as possible.....perhaps a control issue on my part:unsure: We have only rowed a couple of the Vol 1 titles and now just coming back to FIAR I think I am fearful of not succeeding in the way I hope to. Not that you all needed to know all that........so what I am trying to say is I am going to try and be less wordy and use the FIAR planner but I will use some of the other sections for Bible and cooking. I love the idea of checking off in the manuals what topics are covered so we can go back and re-row them at a later time! I also love the idea of a controling excel sheet :lol: ! And the idea of using a sheet to keep track of what is actually covered makes sense also for record keeping purposes.

Thanks so much!

Kendall in GA
07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I use bullet points on my planning sheets.

My planning sheet may look something like this for Night of the Moonjellies:

Language Arts: contrast; punctuation; italics; vocabulary

Social Studies: New England; responsibility; running a small business; life near the sea

Art: medium (pastels); layout; viewpoint; detail

Science: moonjellies

Jana in SoCal
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Kendall,

I read your post and light went on. I have pages of notes trying to manage all the details and I don't need them. I simply need lists. Thanks.