PDA

View Full Version : Owl Moon

ChristyinLA
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello!
I am new to the message boards but does anyone have any extra fun ideas for owl moon? I love extra "Mom" input!! I love hearing from others.
God bless!:roflol:

glendan
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
We studied animal tracks along with Owl Moon. We made casts of tracks from plaster of paris. This was a big hit with my children and they turned out nice. As a matter of fact we still have them months later!

glendan

Jen in SC
07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
We learned that when you see a bunch of crows flying around one tree and causing a general ruckus (:lol:), they are sometimes trying to run an owl off. We went out in the daytime for a walk while rowing this book, noticed some obnoxious crows and then saw an owl...trying to get a decent day's sleep in that tree! :D It was pretty exciting.

Seems like I remember Becky Jane and her dh "planting" a homemade owl in a tree and going owling and thei kids being totally amazed. :lol:

Robin in Colorado
07-02-2007, 01:41 PM
We had a blast with Owl Moon.

I did this book in February and our local nature center had night-time owl walks, which we attended - in the snow!

Also, I ordered an owl pellet kit from sone place, and we had a great time with that.

Jane Claire
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I just found a book at our Costco...called Bird Songs which dials up and features bird calls from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. I had been hearing a bird on our creek, but couldn't see it and with that book identified a flicker. We certainly have a lot of those.

Anyway, it also had a recording (250 different birds in all) of a Barred Owl. We have lots of them in our back woods. Last night I thought, what if I go out in the dark and set this thing off? Would they answer me? I tried it and all of a sudden an owl flew out of the woods across our lawn and landed in a tree right above my head.

So...while this isn't a cheap book, I'm just recommending it for those who might enjoy truly learning real bird calls...and maybe even coaxing a few birds closer as well!

Happy Owl Moon!

Tami in IA
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Christy,

Have you checked out the Archives?
(I wouldn't have even known about them if someone here hadn't told me about them)
There are all sorts of extras in there for FIAR books.

HTH