PDA

View Full Version : Those that have done Vol 4???

amandajean
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I am going to be planning for Vol 4 soon and would like some thoughts on a good way to schedule the books. Do you have any bias as the order should go? :unsure:

Jen in SC
07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
If you own the books, no real bias. Otherwise, it might depend on when you can get them from the library. Other things I consider are holidays, vacations and field trips. We have a beach trip planned in September, so we are doing Higgins Bend that month so we can go fishing at the beach. Seasons play a roll as well, Hanna's Cold Winter is schedule for...WINTER!

Have fun!

Rebe
07-03-2007, 12:31 PM
We do Grass Sandals first because there's a Japanese Festival here over Labor Day weekend. :D But that doesn't really help, does it?

We do Snowflake Bentley in January, when we're most likely to have snow on the ground (or hopefully, falling!).

We do Higgins Bend and The Raft back-to-back in the spring because so many of the science lessons are similar. But you might want to split them up for the same reason.

And we do Pumpkin Runner in October. There's a great science experiment that calls for several pumpkins of different sizes. Plus, you know, you're surrounded by pumpkins in October!

Other than that, it's just what strikes our fancy at the time.

Heidi in IN
07-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Like Jen, we did them by seasons--
Spring books
Albert
Roxaboxen
Summer books (we did them in Aug, Sept, and May)
the Raft
Higgins Bend
Gully Washer
Angelo
Fall Books
Pumpkin Runner (or spring to do it for Australia's falltime!!)
The Hickory Chair (so you can collect hickory nuts!)
Winter books
Snowflake Bentley
Mailing May
Hanna's Cold Winter

We filled in the rest (Arabella, Charlie, Sandles, Hatmaker) where they best seemed to fit seasonally and according to our schedule.

We did each book for 2-3 weeks since we were going to have only this one year to go through the volume and wouldn't be revisiting it or the books in the future. I also felt it helped prepare for the BYFIAR volumes where you spend several weeks on each book.

Julie in AZ
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
We did them loosely by season also.