PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood for a 6 year old

Jana in SoCal
07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I am looking for a good abridged version of Robin Hood to read along with Duchess next year. I would like to do it as a read out loud during lunch. Any suggestions?

Kendra AU
07-05-2007, 04:46 AM
Jana, check at Wal-mart in their book dept. I picked up a few Children's Versions of some classics. Wind In The Willows, Treasure Island, Peter Pan, etc. They were REALLY nice quality hardback books that looked like leather, but weren't. They had lots of pictures in them which kept my son's interest. I can't recall if they had Robin Hood or not, when I bought the ones I did it was due to a pirate interest here. lol

Kendra

jenny in va
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I just recently got the Tales of Robin Hood, retold by Tony Allan. It's a Usborne, paperback book that's about 96 pages and has beautiful color and black and white illustrations throughout the book. I haven't preread it yet, but I've skimmed through it a bit and I think my dc (8 and 5) and I are going to love it.

CINDY LB OH
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
We read a good version a few years ago:

Illustrated Classics: The Adventures of Robin Hood, by Howard Pyle, retold for young readers by D.J. Arneson.

About every other page has a nice drawing. It has 12 chapters.

KristenS
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Ann McGovern had a nice abridged Robin Hood. Libraries might have it still.

Jana in SoCal
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks so much! Seriously, what would I do without all of you? My children's education would not have the kind of depth it does. I love that you all have a hand in their education. You all are my village.

Linda
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I know you said you wanted an abridged, but... :lol:

I read the unabridged Robin Hood to my crew last year and my then newly turned 5 year old dd listened w/ rapt attention.

Just thought I'd put a plug in for the original version. :D

Suz MamaFrog
07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
A second vote for Ann McGovern's "Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest." :thumb:

Suz