PDA

View Full Version : Notebooking ?

Julie L.
07-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I'm new to notebooking and understand I need 3- ring notebook and page protectors and pages. BUT what pages do I get??? There are many choices on all the notebooking sites I've looked at!:eek: There's seasonal, lined, pockets?, plain, bordered etc. HELP! Please tell me from what source you buy yours from and what pages I need to buy to make this a fun FIAR next year.:)

Thanks,
Julie L.

Melissa in SC
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I love: http://www.notebookingpages.com/index.html
we lapbook and I have DL and printed everything on this site :lol:

Suz MamaFrog
07-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Personally, you don't NEED to buy anything to make a fun FIAR norebook. I like to play around with Word, clipart and WordArt and come up with my own pages. You can do a lot without spending a dime, if you have a little imagination, time and the right software......one of the FIAR moms uses balnk books from Wal-Mart to document all her FIAR fun. You can use whatever you like, whatever works for you, and whatever you've already got, if you want to.

HTH!
Suz

Charity White
07-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I didn't do anything but type up a day-by-day description of our activities and my kids' reactions, comments, understanding. They LOVE to go back and read these - it's like a story about them! And then I added pamphlets for places we field-tripped to, any art that was three-hole punchable and anything else they "produced". Very simple, not "scrapbooky" at all. I got a 3-inch binder and divided it by FIAR title. I cherish these notebooks!

Paige P
07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
If you do a search on notebooking/scrapbooking, there are several threads about it. Some people use 3-ring binders, some people use spiral bound blank "scrapbooking" books (that's what I'm using this year), some people do "lapbooks" using two file folders taped/glued together, and some people use something more akin to a scrapbooking book. I think it's your personal preference.

What's working best for us right now (my girls are 6 and 4) is for me to "collect" our work from the week, pictures I may have taken of them, etc. and then glue it into their notebook at the end of the week. One thing I've been making sure I do is have them narrate to me a summary of the story, which I type out and then add to their books. It's VERY basic, but they've really enjoyed it, and it reminds them of the stories we've read.

Sheri
07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I use spiral bound scrapbooks, you can see them here (http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/search/label/Notebooking). I know that several (http://www.blogshewrote.blogspot.com/) other (http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/momofgirls) moms use the same idea.

I don't really use them as a "record" I use them as part of the entire learning process (And they hold me accountable). But either way, remember to make them your own and also remember, if they don't work for your family then set them on the wayside! They are by no means a requirement.

Alice R
07-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I neveruse any "pretty" pages. I didn't know I was supposed to. :unsure:

I'm just using a three ring notebook and having them decorate and write.

Maybe I need to update my ideas. :lol:

jenny in va
07-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I am new to FIAR, so we haven't done a FIAR notebook yet. However, we have done history and science notebooks. Supplies we use are 3 ring binders, page protectors, paper (computer, cardstock, colored computer paper, etc...), stickers, and die cuts and patterned paper from my scrapbooking supplies that I have not used in a long time. My kids prefer to create their own pages. Sometimes I draw lines at the bottom for my ds so that his writing will be neater. I also occasionally print of some of the free notebooking pages offered at www.notebookingpages.com.

Having looked at some of the FIAR notbooks that ladies on this site have done w/their dc, I'd highly recommend the books The Ultimate Lap Book Hanbook by Tammy Duby and Cyndy Regeling and Big Book of Books and Activities by Dinah Zike. Those 2 books will show you how to make numerous types of books to add to your notebook. I am constantly referring back to those 2 books when we notebook and lapbook. Oh, and the FIAR Fold and Learn items look like they'd be a great addition to notebooking. I'll probably buy the Fold and Learn products and use them in our notebooks.

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 02:04 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Notebooking/

There is also a free yahoo group you can join to get ideas, ask for pages.
They have some freebie files on the site too!

I have never paid for a notebooking page.

Julie L.
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much!!!!:D I feel a sense of relief- ya'll explained it so simply and I understand now!:clap: I'll have to get the notebook reference books too. I'm not overly creative and need a jump-start. I think I have a perfection problem- whatever we do I want it to be the best. I'd say I need to lighten up- then I will not feel so stressed about it! If anybody has any more ideas feel free to let me know- I'm just going to write down the things ya'll have said and refer back to them.

Thanks again,
Julie L.

Rebecca G
07-06-2007, 05:45 PM
We have used both spiral bound and three ring binders. I prefer 3 ring binders, just for ease of adding something later if we remembered something we wanted to add after the fact. We use stickers, card stock, lined and unlined papers, colored paper, markers, pens, pencils...just depends on our moods. I try to let the children make them their own and do what helps them to make memories of things studied.

HTH and have fun:)