PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbook/notebooking

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Up until now I have done Lapbooking.

I got a couple scrap spirals and thought I would try the scapbook type notebooking. (I thought it would be so neat to have everything in one book-for a change.)

But after gathering up what I want to do for our next row-Glorious Flight I am trying to figure out how to flesh this all out in a notebook.
There is a really cool printable about flight in the archives.
This has the history of flight, different dot to dots of air machines,
and many other cool things-mazes, word searches, info on flight talk. I thought to take the cards and have them cut them out and we could put them in order from when they were invented. (Some stuff we could color, cut and paste into the notebook-like maps, and flags etc.

Also I wanted to make Roman Numeral flash cards. So this unit will have alot more stuff and loose stuff I will need to make pockets for. (I am just trying to figure it out b/c it looks like it will take quite a few pages to include all this in a notebook. )

So if you have units that have more stuff in them do you do it anyway or do you lapbook it instead? Plus won't this make the notebook bulkier?

(If I lapbook it then it messes up my idea of keeping this all in one book.)

I don't know what to do? Do others of you just put extra stuff in a different book?

I think I am a helpless (addicted) lapbooker-perhaps I cannot change? :sad:

Candace C
07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Michelle, my notebook for Hannah's K year IS bulky...and for that reason I'm going to try and get a thicker/bigger notebook for this coming year.

Also, the other thing I would suggest is picking and choosing the BEST things to put in the notebook. I didn't keep everything that we did...just a sampling. I did have a few pages per book, generally. Some books longer, some books with hardly anything...and that's ok. :)

Also, sometimes for a title that we had quite a few printables on, I would staple all the printables together and just glue down that ONE booklet, instead of taking up lots and lots of notebooking pages...if that makes sense. You are welcome to look at our K notebook if you want to.

Sheri
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I make extensions when I have too much for the pages...I just cut a piece of paper so it's 10 X 11, and fold it over by 2 inches, glue the 2 inch section down to the paper, then it opens up. On the front side we have about 9" extra space and when you open it up the page has extended for 10 X10 to 19 X 10. (And if you do the same on EACH side of the 2 page spread you get rather than 10 X 20 ...10 X 38 and the extra 18" of blank space still!!

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Michelle, my notebook for Hannah's K year IS bulky...and for that reason I'm going to try and get a thicker/bigger notebook for this coming year.

Also, the other thing I would suggest is picking and choosing the BEST things to put in the notebook. I didn't keep everything that we did...just a sampling. I did have a few pages per book, generally. Some books longer, some books with hardly anything...and that's ok. :)

Also, sometimes for a title that we had quite a few printables on, I would staple all the printables together and just glue down that ONE booklet, instead of taking up lots and lots of notebooking pages...if that makes sense. You are welcome to look at our K notebook if you want to.

SO did you use a spiral type last year for K?

I like that idea of stapling and glueing the book in. (this may work).

Yes I will have to look at it.

thanks

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I make extensions when I have too much for the pages...I just cut a piece of paper so it's 10 X 11, and fold it over by 2 inches, glue the 2 inch section down to the paper, then it opens up. On the front side we have about 9" extra space and when you open it up the page has extended for 10 X10 to 19 X 10. (And if you do the same on EACH side of the 2 page spread you get rather than 10 X 20 ...10 X 38 and the extra 18" of blank space still!!

So when you glue in the extra paper you glue it to the outside edge of the paper? and then fold it in to store. (Like adding extra card stock to a lapbook?)

Candace C
07-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes, I used spiral...I bought it at Hobby Lobby after looking EVERYWHERE for a bigger one...I ended up with something like a 9x11 or something. I want a bigger one for next year. I also add a lot of pictures that I take of our schooling, like the ones posted on my blog from time to time. So, it would be nice to have a 12x12 to add in pictures next to a worksheet or whatever.

I saw those on a site someone posted recently (bare something) but those had very few pages...so I'm still looking.

I really LOVE having it all in 1 book!!

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, I used spiral...I bought it at Hobby Lobby after looking EVERYWHERE for a bigger one...I ended up with something like a 9x11 or something. I want a bigger one for next year. I also add a lot of pictures that I take of our schooling, like the ones posted on my blog from time to time. So, it would be nice to have a 12x12 to add in pictures next to a worksheet or whatever.

I saw those on a site someone posted recently (bare something) but those had very few pages...so I'm still looking.

Yes I went ahead and just got normal sketch books they are 9X11 or something like that. Since I just want to try it out this year.

If I really like it then we may get bigger ones next time..

Christie
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM

Me too! We lapbooked most of our first year, and have used a spiral notebook for our last four books. Ours is the spiral sketchbook from Wal Mart. I think its a 9x9, which is a neat little size for my girl! She likes it in one book, and has shown her grandmas her book proudly. She likes tiny things, so making tiny projects or books has worked well for our smaller notebook.

carriejoy
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes I went ahead and just got normal sketch books they are 9X11 or something like that. Since I just want to try it out this year.

If I really like it then we may get bigger ones next time..

Normal sketch books are going to be waaaay bulkier as they're not designed to have things added to them. Look at the scrapbooks that are spiral bound. Those are designed to have things added to the page including some that are 3-d (like buttons or other scrapbooking embellishments)

Wal-Mart has a 10x10 for $7 or less that works quite nicely. I think you can do a 2-page spread with a scrapbook with all the folds and such you know from lapbooking! ;)

Vivian (WI)
07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow! I can see I have some serious catching up to do here...as mentioned in another post, while I have owned my FIAR for MANY years, I have used very little of it and am about to get started using it with my 6,4 and4 year olds - but as I am reading this thread i am wondering if all this talk of lapbooking, notebooking and scrapbooking is explained somewhere - I know the general concepts of each of them, but I am curious what ALL you are doing, how, why, when, etc - you know the 5 w's and a H :roflol:

I am brand new to this site so maybe I need to find out more about what all is on here - helps, suggestions, etc - but I am very curious about what all of you are up to with things mentioned here!!!

Vivian - mom to 6

Marcygirl
07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
in case anyone is interested, the spiral books mentioned were from

BareBooks (http://www.barebooks.com/spiral.htm)

I bought several in a couple of different sizes. I think they'll work well as a FIAR notebook, History Notebook, and sketch pad.

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Well I sort of learned about Lapbooking from
www.FIARcircle.com
There is another site that lists many resources is http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2005/09/about-lapbooking-and-notebooking.html

MichelleL in Tn
07-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Normal sketch books are going to be waaaay bulkier as they're not designed to have things added to them. Look at the scrapbooks that are spiral bound. Those are designed to have things added to the page including some that are 3-d (like buttons or other scrapbooking embellishments)

Wal-Mart has a 10x10 for $7 or less that works quite nicely. I think you can do a 2-page spread with a scrapbook with all the folds and such you know from lapbooking! ;)

Well maybe I need to look into getting these instead. Hmmm now what do I do with the other ones?

Beth in FL
07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I am brand new to this site so maybe I need to find out more about what all is on here - helps, suggestions, etc - but I am very curious about what all of you are up to with things mentioned here!!!

Vivian - mom to 6

Vivian, check out this thread (http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=12642&highlight=notebooking) and this one (http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=10243&highlight=notebooking) and this one (http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=10541&highlight=notebooking). They should answer some of your questions. But rest assured that notebooking is not a requirement at all!

carriejoy
07-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Well maybe I need to look into getting these instead. Hmmm now what do I do with the other ones?

NATURE NOTEBOOKS!! ;) My daughter has enjoyed the little nature drawing she's done. I am hoping to do a Charlotte Mason type thing with drawings and poetry, scripture, science facts etc with it. She's 6 and so far has done a pansy!! She labeled it "pessy" don't ask. I spelled it 3 times for her! oh well!