PDA

View Full Version : Need French Help for Giraffe

carriejoy
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd like to know what the following means both literally and for actual useage - for instance, bon voyage literally means "good journey" but can be used for "goodbye". And some pronuciation help.

Here is what I need:

Adieu, au revoir, sacre' bleu (phrase), Vive la ____ (does this mean "long live the ___" or "remember the ___" I understand the connotation/sentiment but would like the words, ya know?)

What are "profiteroles"?

How do you pronounce "jaune" (yellow)?

Thanks brilliant ladies!

Suz MamaFrog
07-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Sacre bleu - this is the equivalent of "Jeez!" or "Gosh!" In French, the word "Dieu" is "God." So, it would be blasphemous to say "sacre Dieu" so they say "sacrebleu" instead. Most France French people DON'T say this word. Canadian French and some Caribbean French speakers still do. It literally means "Holy Blue!" Pronounced SAH-CRAY BLUE with accent more on BLUE than on the rest.

Adieu - French for "goodbye" or "farewell." Literal translation is "to God." Pronounced AH-DYOU with accent on second syllable.

Au Revoir -Another French term for "goodbye." Literally means "till I see you again." Pronouced AH-REH-VWAH with accent on last syllable

Vive la - French for "long live the....." Literal translation is "Life to the." Pronounced VEE-VAH LAH with accent on first syllable.

Jaune - Pronounced ZHON.

Profiteroles - cream puffs. Means "bun baked under the ashes" Has existed as an English word for 500 years or so. Pronounced PRO-FIT-ER-OLS with accent on second syllable.

Now, take into account that I learned French from an Italian woman over twenty years ago, so my pronunciations may be a little off. A lot of the info on literal meanings and whatnot are from Answers.com and other info search sites, with a little bit thrown in from what I can remember form those French lessons all those years ago. ;)

HTH!
Suz

DD in IL
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounded right to me. I did not know what profiteroles were.

LindainOK
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
My roots are Cajun, and not "proper" Francais ;)

ohr---VWAH for Au Revoir
and Prah-FIT-uh-rolz for cream puffs

Isn't that a wonderful book? I'd love to own a copy, at a reasonable price, that is!

Charity White
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Pretty good, Suz! :thumb: For 20 years and an Italian teacher I say REALLY good! ;)

I'd say "pro-feet-euh-role" with the accent on "feet", as you said, for "profiteroles". And "oh-reuh-vwah(r)" for "au revoir". And "veev" (no "ah" at the end) for "vive". And "sah-creuh bleuh" for "sacre bleu" (no "ay" sound). "Ah-dyeuh" for Adieu.

It's that tricky French "euh" sound that we just don't have in English! It's what they use for their audible pause, too, like when we say "uh" while we're thinking or searching for words.

carriejoy
07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
ya'll did right nice! Thanks so much! I used to consider myself a well-read person, but not so much these days!

Suz, I have not checked out answers.com before. I really appreciate the help!

Today was our first "school" day in a LOOOONG time. I'm hoping to do a little notebooking with it.