PDA

View Full Version : Go Along book/lesson idea for Giraffe

carriejoy
07-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I got The King's Giraffe by Mary Jo & Peter Collier to go along with this. I don't know if I like the story as much BUT the illustrations (Stephane Poulin) are incredible! Well worth looking at for the art lessons in the manual adn some of the culture stuff.

It is very different from TGTWTP. I thought for some students it would make a very good compare/contrast study between teh too books - venn diagram type of thing.

For instance, in this book, the idea of sending the gift is the pasha's but it's because the king of France sent a printing press and he wants to reciprocate. The idea of the giraffe is from the stable boy. There are many instances of differences and soem similarities.

Just for the illustrations I wouldn't mind owning this. I'm going to keep my eye out for it.

Also, I started Zarafa. I read teh 1st 2 chapters adn so far am not thrilled. I was hoping to have a read aloud to go along with this little unit. The intro of the book is really wonderful and I thought the rest of the book would follow suit. I will let you know though if any of the chapters are worth reading to your kiddos! ;)

blessings

Kendra AU
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Oo, i'd just heard that this book was similar in story. I was thinking the Giaraffe That Walked To Paris would be a great book to match up to our history lessons with ancient Egypt, but my library doesn't have it. The quest continues! :lol:

Kendra