PDA

View Full Version : Anyone include older siblings?

MaryinCO
07-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I will be starting Vol 1 with my 5 year old little guy this fall. My 11 year old daughter will be doing SL Core 4 independently. She LOVES arts, crafts, cooking, etc. Has anyone allowed a sibling that is obviously over the upper age limit to participate just for fun and enrichment? I think my little guy would like the company, and she would have fun.

I have looked at Beyond FIAR for her, but she loved SL Core 3 and is now loving Core 4. She has her eye on Further Up (the Narnia series) next.

Sheri
07-14-2007, 12:00 PM
My oldest two were in BY last year, this year I have one in BY and one out of FIAR, I am sure they will participate in any fun arts and crafts, just because of the nature of those items. (I am also equally sure my FIARer will participate in any of the older kids fun stuff!)

Sue in MN
07-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Sure the more the merrier. I have a 12 yo who will be doing FIAR to learn about writing stories. Christy is doing Sonlight World History - finishing level 6 & moving into Level 7. We will row FIAR Vol. 1 & 2 next year for Language Arts. It doesn't take long anyway. She wants to be a writer so we are learning what makes a good book and practicing the concepts we learn in FIAR. She plans to have at least one book published before she graduates from high school. I have always wanted to write too but I think my skills may be more in the editing area so we will team up and see how it goes.

My 4yo granddaughter may be part of FIAR or B4FIAR too.

Stacy in OR
07-15-2007, 02:35 PM
My 10 yo is doing Beyond this year for the first time. (Last year we used Sonlight for her and my 8 yo). She informed me that she wanted to sit in on FIAR. She loves the books and all of the lessons. She likes learning language arts concepts through the books. She also prepared science reports to present to her younger siblings. I am going to arrange the schedule so she can do both FIAR and Beyond. Of course, the FIAR will be optional, but she will be free to join in where there is interest. Beyond will be the core of her learning this year.

Susan Seaman
07-16-2007, 10:51 AM
My older daughter (who rowed all the FIAR books in her day), would probably like to participate more than I will allow her. She's is doing some very rigorous high school classes and can't really afford to spend lots of time doing school with her younger brothers. However, I am planning on letting her teach the FIAR Art lesson each week. She has far surpassed me in art talent, and since she plans to homeschool her own kids some day, I want to give her practice teaching.

CJ
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
My older ones actually teach a lesson once in a while or lead an activity here and there. They've all been through BFIAR and FIAR themselves so they remember quite a bit.

I'm a very big believer in the benefits of mentoring and this works really well in our family (they LOVE to teach their younger siblings) with the added bonus of keeping me fresh.

:group:

Karen (OR)
07-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi CJ! :hi:

Just curious....where in OR are you? We are in Bend.

Blessings,
Karen

MaryinCO
07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I work part time as a NICU RN (usually every Friday)...I was thinking about having my older kids do hands on activities with him while I am gone (my kids range in age almost 16 down to 5...it's so nice to have big kids!). Plus hubby works from home, unless he is traveling, so he will be there, too if they need help.

CJ
07-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Karen,

I sent you a private message.
:)