PDA

View Full Version : Notebooking question

Jeni
07-17-2007, 02:11 AM
Who does most of the cutting and pasting into the notebooks, you or the kids?

I'm doing good to get the kids to listen to the story and do the activity; cutting and pasting it into the notebook seems to be asking too much esp. from my boys. My dd usually gets into cutting and pasting but even she doesn't want to do it sometimes. The notebooks seem to be more my project than theirs sometimes. Do you require your kids to complete their notebooks as a form of record keeping or do you add their stuff to their notebooks for your records?

Kendall in GA
07-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Do you require your kids to complete their notebooks as a form of record keeping or do you add their stuff to their notebooks for your records?

We do lapbooks and my dc do their own cutting. (The only time that I will help w/ cutting is if we're in a hurry and are short on time for some reason.) Both of my troops enjoy cutting for some reason. They both went through a phase when they were younger where they just had to cut and cut they did! Thankfully, it was a short-lived phase for each of them. :eyes: In any event, they still enjoy cutting when the occasion arises.

Btw, if your dc don't really enjoy cutting I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just do it for them. It's no biggie, IMO. I've never seen an adult who cannot cut...I'm sure that they'll know how to cut when it will be necessary.

KimK
07-17-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks for asking this question. Sometimes I feel like I do most of the work esp when I was doing the lapbooks. My ds likes to cut stuff up but only into little pieces, and that normally doesnt work out for notebooking. I have started doing some notebooking that doesnt require a lot of cutting, or keeping whole pages of stuff. I also have a paper cutter for straight edges. I dread cutting. I would almost pay someone else to do it. Luckily dh cuts anything I ask him. :)

Robin(CA)
07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
If I had to do the work, I wouldn't do it. I would just save their work in a binder or something instead. Yesterday we did social studies with Cowboy Charlie and I had them write the title of the book at the top of the page, then they cut out examples of Charles M Russell's artwork and glued them in.

It didn't take very long. I notice that they are much less detail oriented than I remember being as a little girl. Oh well, they excell in other areas instead.

deanna1949
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Most of our cutting is straight, so I use a small paper cutter for those edges. I can line up the page, hold it down with the guide, and DGD (age 5) just slides the cutter down the track. We can do that pretty quickly. Any detailed cutting requiring scissors--it just depends on our moods, sometimes she does it, sometimes I do. I try to get her to do as much as possible though.

Jeni
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I don't feel so bad now doing most of the work. My dd likes to cut and paste but gets tried of it when I won't let her chop everything into little pieces. My boys like to chop things into little pieces to but don't like to be told how and where to cut. :eyes:

I do enjoy doing the notebooks and the finished product. I was just feeling bad that they felt more like "mine" than "theirs" even though it's their work I'm putting in there. I guess, for now, I'll just keep up with them as records of what we've done and just encourage them to help until they are older.

Thanks again

Paige P
07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Jen, one more comment ..... I've found mine will cut for "short" periods of time. When I asked them to wait until Friday and cut a week's worth of stuff out and then put it in their notebooks, it became a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG process that everyone got tired of. When we do a project and cut it out immediately, then save it until the end of the week to glue, things go much better.

By the way, both of my dds like to cut, but dd2 doesn't like being "precise" and gets tired of it very quickly. I think that's more of an age-thing than anything else, though. Just my opinion...... Forgot to add that when dd2 gets that way, I usually "help" her cut her things -- why not? She's 4 -- it doesn't hurt anyone.....

MichelleL in Tn
07-18-2007, 12:45 PM
This is the very reason I do one notebook or lapbook and we all add to it.

They can do some of the cutting and pasting themselves, but making mini books etc. is harder for them. I do make them do the 'work" any drawings coloring, listing, handwriting etc. My dd has a harder time with cutting and I got her a Kumon book so she can work on this. For Glorious flight I added into our notebook airplanes she had cut out... Plus we may only cut and paste one thing each day. (We don't do a whole lot on any given day.)

When they are older I will get them each a separate notebook that they can both keep. they did request individual nature journals though-I was suprised!

Melissa
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I have started doing some notebooking that doesnt require a lot of cutting, or keeping whole pages of stuff.

I would love to hear how you're doing your notebooks, KimK. I want to do notebooking with my ds, but it will have to be simple with small bites at a time that don't take very long.
Thanks!

carriejoy
07-23-2007, 04:14 PM
. My ds likes to cut stuff up but only into little pieces, and that normally doesnt work out for notebooking. :)

:roflol: :lol:

This just struck me as soooo funny! I have that same child - only times 3!!