PDA

View Full Version : which book to row first?

Missy OH
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I am not new to FIAR but my little girl is. We rowed PING for fun last spring. I'm having trouble deciding which book to start with. I need something exciting, active, something to hold her attention. She's a somewhat reluctant learner and disapointed because her friends are going to a "real" school while she has to stay home. :D She'll be fine. ;) But, I would really like to start the year out with a BANG for her. She's 5.5.

What are you starting off with?

Blessings on your new school year!

Missy

Missy OH
07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
:roflol: My boys saw this and thought she would like Madeline.

I'm still interested in what you are starting your year with.

Blessings,
Missy

JavaJackie
07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree! I think Madeline is a great one to begin with. You can end your week with French Fries and French toast and eclairs!:clap:

Rachel
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
My twins are starting their K year soon and they are also 5.5 yo. I was planning on starting with Ping but maybe we'll start with Madeline also.

Julie in AZ
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
We rowed Katy and the Big Snow as our first row two years ago in August. I highly recommend a winter book in the heat of summer! :thumb:

Here are some things we did that would work well with a reluctant learner:

*made traffic sign graham cracker snacks with honey and m&ms
*played right light, green light
*put north, south, east, west symbols around the house and "drove" different directions
*built Geopolis (city) out of legos on a vinyl table cloth which then suffered a terrible snowstorm (whipped cream), the kids drove matchbox cars through the city, we had hot chocolate using the "snow" for extra flavor
*we personified objects around the house and both dc wrote a short story
*the kids followed maps to their rooms to find candy I had hid
*we made paper pinwheels (in manual)

FIAR is going to be such a great fit for your dd! :)

Amanda Williams
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
We rowed Blueberries for Sal (from Before) for our first book. (last Spring)
It is still one of my favorites and my dds LOVED it!

CJ
07-17-2007, 02:23 PM
We're starting with Madeline, too. Then she'll pick from Rag Coat, Red Clogs, Ping, Who Owns the Sun and How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.

I work up 6 books at a time.

Mary FL
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
We rowed Katy and the Big Snow as our first row two years ago in August. I highly recommend a winter book in the heat of summer! :thumb:

*put north, south, east, west symbols around the house and "drove" different directions
*built Geopolis (city) out of legos on a vinyl table cloth which then suffered a terrible snowstorm (whipped cream), the kids drove matchbox cars through the city, we had hot chocolate using the "snow" for extra flavor

These are great ideas! I'm planning Katy for January.

Our first book of the school year will be Madeline too!

Julia in MO
07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Missy,

Don't forget to celebrate "NOT Back to School" Day with your dd this year. On the day that her friends go back to public school, do something with your children that their ps counterparts can NOT do!

Some of the families on this board have school in their pjs on the first day of public school! Try THAT at public school! :eek: Public school is starting earlier than ever before here, on August 13. For my children, I'm planning a picnic in the park at lunchtime, followed by dessert at DQ or Baskin Robbins (or maybe even a nice sit-down place). I will try to prepare them for the inevitable "Shouldn't you be in school?" questions from the adults that we will encounter that day. We'll probably work in some animal classification stuff while at the park, but basically the day will be a celebration of the freedom of homeschooling.

HTH with your dd's morale!

Julia in StL

stacy z
07-17-2007, 04:28 PM
we loved The Bee Tree! it is a rolicking fun story, but with such a sweet message about learning.

if you are sticking with vol. 1 i would start with How to Make an Apple...

whatever you row, don't forget to include the FOOD! like the biscuits and honey or the apple pie! food always makes a big impression on my dc! :eyes: :yum: :lol:

Alana
07-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I second How to Make an Apple Pie...really fun!!!

ami*
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
We started our FIARowing adventure with How to Make an Apple Pie back in 2005! Love that book. :thumb:

Kit in the Mitt
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
:hi: HI everyone. This is my first post, so I'm a bit nervous...
This will be my first year doing any school stuff with my children beside phonics and numbers. I'm looking for a bit of insight into working with a team aged 6,5,4,2.5,1.5. The oldest is a girl and the rest are boys. I am very excited and my children are eager learners. Any tips on buying supplies? Where do you usually do your 'work'.(ie; kitchen table, special school area, living room)?

The thoughts you all have shared have already been a big inspiration and encouragement to me, especially the conversation on how long 'school' should last. I can imagine my time being a little longer with more than one student needing my attention.:eek:

Thanks in advance for your input.

Alana
07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Kitt, welcome to the boards! You might want to make a new thread/new post for your questions. Just so that you get some responses.

But to answer at least one of your questions. We do our work at our "school table. This is a long plastic "craft" table that you get at Sam's. It really works out well. I am going to post a pic soon on my blog. Once I get my calendar and maps on the wall.

Welcome, you are going to love FIAR with your gang!!

Marcygirl
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
We are rowing The Bee Tree this week (our first week back). It's the perfect time of year for a visit to a bee farm, buying home-grown honey, etc.

Plus there's that wonderful message about the joy of reading. The perfect way to begin the year!

Rachel
01-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Julie, I'm gonna use some of your ideas for our week coming up. Thanks!

Lisalyn
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I really like the idea of Madeline as a first row, but I'm really loving the idea of Katy and the Big Snow!! :thumb:

This was a very fun book my son did last winter during K-5. He still remembers a lot of the fun things we did.

We built Geopolis with Legos, too! We used a vinyl roller shade to draw our map and used cotton 'fluff' (pillow stuffing) for our snow storm! We used Hot Wheels to drive through the town and even found a Matchbox bulldozer in the toy box to use as Katy!

We did this for DAYS afterward. :lol:

LisaW
01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I am gonna have to go along with "How to make an Apple Pie"... my kidlets loved it... We may even do it again this fall... ;)
Have a great week!!! :hi:

Kendra AU
01-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Maybe you could pick a book based on something you could go see as a hands on "extra" for the book or subject you are studying.

Madeline was a huge hit, and I've got two boys! :lol: My four year old still tries to check it out at the library weekly, and we OWN the book! They were really excited to do this because they love biology. You could make a trip to the hospital, or even to the zoo just like Madeline did. You could make your own madeline cake (familyfun.com has directions for a yellow hat cake.. and a complete madeline party!)

Peter Rabbit was another huge hit, maybe you could do this and then map out a garden on paper. Buy some seeds (let her choose a few packets), and get her her very own gardening "kit" (water can, garden gloves, spade, etc.) While she's waiting to grow an outside garden you could always grow some flowers or herbs in pots indoors.

Grandma's Walk was a huge hit before we went to the beach to wrap up our week, and that just sealed the deal for them. Mind you, at the time our beach was a half dried up lake in a drought stricken area in TN. If a beach or lake is available and your game (I know it's winter in America) then that might be fun for you!

Mirette On The Highwire would be fun if you had the ability to take her to a circus or an acrobat school. We were blessed with that opportunity just after studying the book. The boys were actually able to try, first hand, walking on a tight rope. Now, mind you, they weren't more then 5 feet off the ground, but they talked about Bellini for ages. You could even let her set up your house like a boarding house for the week.

There's just so many great books to choose from! :lol: We personally started our year with Ping (a rerow for us) because we're traveling around the world as the boys earn patches for each country we study..

Kendra

Missy OH
01-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I started this thread several months ago, and I'd forgotten about it. I glanced through it, and I didn't see where I'd given an update.

We started the year with Madeline. We had a lot of fun! Our favorite memory was our French picnic we packed for a surprise morning snack. It was on a scorching hot morning too. But we took our picnic (we made the croissant/choc. from the archive) ate it under a tree outside. All the kids enjoyed it. Madeline was definitely an excellent choice for Kayla. She still talks about the eifel tower.

I re-read my first post and wanted to update everyone on how Kayla feels about being hs'd now. She hugs and thanks me often for hs'ing her. Even though she had three older brothers who are hs'd, the thought of going to school seemed so exciting to her. :)

We are doing Horses of Sweetbriar on Monday. I didn't do this book w/ my boys so I'm excited about this one, and she has been wanting to learn more about horses. :clap:

I pray everyone's year is going well.:kiss: