PDA

View Full Version : China Read Aloud..

Kendra AU
07-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Okay, I'm looking for a book based in or on China that would be a good read aloud for a six year old and a four year old. I'm not really worried about the four year old listening, but I'd like to know that the six year old enjoys it enough to listen or draw a picture of what we're reading. He does good with read aloud if there's lots of pictures, but we're attempting to move beyond that just a pinch. ;) Anyway, any suggestions?

Kendra

ivy
07-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Little Pear, however I'm not sure of the author--try google...I believe they make a sequel as well.

Janee' in Texas
07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Little Pear is a good story. :yes: If you want something with even fewer pages try "Granny Hans Breakfast" it is a shorter book, just a few pages per chapter and has a picture, but not a picture on every page. :D It is a great story too.

MarieD
07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I second Little Pear by Eleanor F. Lattimore :yes:

Charity White
07-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I like Little Pear, too. I LOVE Mei Fuh by Edith Schaeffer! :thumb:

Kendra AU
07-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Right-a-roo, it sounds like I need to check out Little Pear. I have looked at Granny Han's breakfast, it might even be on my list! :lol: Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Kendra

Wende
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
ANother possibility may be Li Lun, Lad of Courage by Carolyn Treffinger. It is a Newberry Award Winner. I just picked it up at the thrift, and have only browsed through it, but my first thought was what a great go-along for Ping. From Amazon:
Banished to a mountaintop to learn to grow rice, Li Lun proves his courage as he fights the elements and his own loneliness to make his rice seedlings flourish where no one else has for generations.
http://www.amazon.com/Lun-Courage-Newbery-Honor-Roll/dp/0802774687