PDA

View Full Version : Lentil Taco recipe

Loree'
09-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Libbie asked for this recipe a while back. It's been a family favorite for a couple of decades now.

1 1/2 c dry lentils
3 1/2 - 5 c water
1 bay leaf
celery salt to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for about an hr & a half.

Use as you would taco meat in tacos or taco salad.

LillianD
09-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Sounds great! I will definitely try this!

Carol S
09-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I have (somewhere not findable) a chili recipe that calls for basically 1/2 lentils and 1/2 meat. My folks, who never cared for lentils before that, liked it enough to take it home and make it. I think you could basically just take whatever chili recipe you like and cut 1/2 the meat and do probably about a cup of dry lentils for 1/2 lb. of meat. I hadn't thought to try it in tacos; I'll have to give that a go.

Libbie
11-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks Loree! Just found this post tonight as I was searching for something else.

Loree'
11-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Libbie,

I'm so glad! You only asked for it, what, 8-9 months ago? Better late than never!:lol: Hope y'all enjoy it!

If you like vegetarian burgers I can post my 3 Nut Burger recipe that incorporates the left overs from the lentil recipe.

Oney
11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Loree. Thanks for posting this. I was looking for this as well. I made the lentil-meat mixture and made regular enchiladas out of it. (As a matter of fact, that's what lunch is today--leftover enchiladas)

I heated corn tortillas in hot oil and drained them on paper towel. Then put some shredded cheese on the tortilla and spooned a healthy amount of lentil mixture on it and rolled it up and put it in the casserole dish. After the dish was full I mixed a can of mild enchilada sauce with a can of tomato soup and poured it all over the enchiladas. Then I baked it until it was bubbly on top and heated through.

We topped the enchis with shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped dill pickles (yes, we like chopped dills on our Mexican food :lol: ), chopped avocados, sour cream and salsa. :yum:

No one here suspected they weren't our "traditional all-beef" enchiladas. Very tasty and healthier, not to mention less expensive to make. :thumb:

Tami in IA
11-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Okay so I just had to jump on here and say that when I read the thread title I thought "I don't remember there being any mention of Taco's in Lentil!":lol:

Thanks for posting it. I'd like to try to get some more meatless meals that my dh and kids will like. This sounds like something they would eat! :thumb:

Libbie
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Libbie,

I'm so glad! You only asked for it, what, 8-9 months ago? Better late than never!:lol: Hope y'all enjoy it!

If you like vegetarian burgers I can post my 3 Nut Burger recipe that incorporates the left overs from the lentil recipe.

Yes, I would like that recipe, too. I'll probably work on my January menu in the next couple of weeks and those will be great additions.

ETA: Actually it was 9 months yesterday. One could have a baby in the time it took for the two of us to read each others posts! :lol:

Oney
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, I would like that recipe, too. I'll probably work on my January menu in the next couple of weeks and those will be great additions.

ETA: Actually it was 9 months yesterday. One could have a baby in the time it took for the two of us to read each others posts! :lol:

Libbie, given your and Loree's track record on recipe exchanges, perhaps you should consider putting the 3 Nut Burgers on your AUGUST menu. :roflol:

Libbie
02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Libbie, given your and Loree's track record on recipe exchanges, perhaps you should consider putting the 3 Nut Burgers on your AUGUST menu. :roflol:

Hmmmm. I guess you're right! :lol:

Loree'
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Just in time for Valentines Day!

3 Nut Burgers
1 cup cooked lentils
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup finely chopped cashews
2 tablespoons almond butter
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 tablespoon parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp onion powder
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine ingredients. Shape into patties. Brown in small amount of olive oil.
Serve on buns as you would hamburgers w/condiments, veggies, & cheese of your choice.

Makes 6.

* I use the left overs from lentil tacos or cook lentils using that recipe. The extra spices make it :yum:

** Do not fry in deep oil. The burgers will break apart.

*** I use a food processor to finely chop/grind nuts.

LisaM
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Both of these recipes sound great -- and I've been wanting to cook with lentils ever since Iron Chef America did "Battle Lentil"! :roflol:

One question for you, Loree': does it matter what kind of lentil you use for these recipes? I bought some red lentils a while back because I thought they would be healthy, but didn't know what to do with them . . . will they work?

Loree'
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
One question for you, Loree': does it matter what kind of lentil you use for these recipes? I bought some red lentils a while back because I thought they would be healthy, but didn't know what to do with them . . . will they work?

I've never used them, but I say give it a shot! Just be sure to let us know how it turns out. ;)

Carol S
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Red lentils tend to go mushier than brown lentils, so keep that in mind. Your taco filling may end up more like the texture of refrieds than like meat. I'd probably stick with brown, but then I've never really tried green. They might work as well.

There's a recipe on allrecipes for Apricot Lentil Soup that gets a :thumb: from our household except for maybe the 5 yo. Even the 8 yo eats it, and she's pretty picky.

debbie in ak
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Loree! Copying the recipes now!

Alana
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
The other day I made green lentils and seasoned them similarly. Then we had the most fabulous burritos with them.

Lentils
Rice
Cheese
Pace Picante Sauce
Sour Cream
Cilantro

A little steak fajita meat and I might have been at Chipotles!

Libbie
02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks so much Lori!!! I think we're going to try it next week.

Loree'
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM
YW! Hope you enjoy them!