PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Dough Recipes, Please

Amanda Williams
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
My DH just bought me a new pizza pan and I want to try it out today.
I have never made homemade pizza and only have white flour and whole wheat flour. Does anyone have a dough recipe that doesn't call for bread flour?

TIA!
:D :clap:

Alana
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
We found this recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook after several duds. It is the best we have ever had:

1 pkg yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour ( I use all purpose)
2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (I think I double this)

Mix together, let rest 20 mins. Then roll out or toss and apply toppings.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes

I usually spray my pizza pan, and dust with cornmeal.

Makes 2 - 11" thin pizzas

Kate K
10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
:yes: What Alana said!

I have a lot of cookbooks, but after trial and error, the Betty Crocker is my "go to" for bread recipes--it has never let me down! I've used their pizza dough recipe and it's been great!

Amanda Williams
10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
THANK YOU!
Sounds perfect!! :yum: :yum:

Sheena
10-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm no big help at the moment, but the best pizza crust I ever made was from this cookbook called "The Pizza Gourmet" She has at least 5 or more different crust recipes and LOTS of interesting pizza recipes. I found the book at the library and plan to buy it soon. I made the "sponge" crust and it rose really high and was crusty on the outside, but soft on the inside. So if you can find the book its great for pizza:)

MicheleNJ
10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Here is one we use all the time and love! (I'm going to try the one Alana posted too!)

Pizza Dough
3 Cups flour ( white, whole wheat or a mix of the two)
1 Cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
1Tbsp. sugar
1 package yeast or 1 Tbsp yeast if you buy your yeast in bulk

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for this, you could also use your bread machine on the dough setting or you could also mix by hand. If using the mixer put all of the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix on low until combined. Add the water, (I use the hottest tap water when mixing like this)
and mix on low, with the dough hook, until the dough cleans the side of the bowl and is smooth and springy.

If mixing the dough by hand, first dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water and let sit for about five minutes, until it begins to "grow" (this is always fun for the kids to watch). Then add the salt and flour and mix.
Knead the dough on a lightly floured surgace, adding additional flour as needed until the dough is smooth.

At this point, you can let the dough rest for about five minutes, then pat out onto two pizza pans and make your own pizza. Or, you can let the dough raise once or twice and then make your pizza. Or, place the dough into a greased bowl, cover well and refrigerate overnight. I have also made unbaked pizzas with this dough and frozen them.

For varations you can add dried or fresh herbs to the dough while mixing or substitute a little olive oil for the water. Our favorite is garlic powder add to the dough! Yum!

This dough is very forgiving. Depending on how well you measure and how humid your kitchen is, you may need to add a little more flour or water on somedays. You can also double or triple this recipe.

Note: I copied this recipe the way it was given to me. One thing I have found, if you are using a very large round pizza pan, this recipe will only give you enough for one pizza. (I have a large 16-17 inch pizza pan) I usually double the recipe for two large pizzas. I personally use my kitchen aid and it takes no time to make this recipe. I have also frozen the pizza dough for future use!

Amanda Williams
10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks so much, gals!! :kiss: :yum:

Melissa
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
This one also came from Betty Crocker (1989), although I've made my own adjustments:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon organic sugar (found at Costco!)
1 teaspoon sea salt
Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2-quart bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients; beat vigorously 20 strokes (really, I didnít count). Let rest 5 minutes.

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Divide dough into halves. Pat each half into 11-inch circle on greased cookie sheet or 12-inch pizza pan with floured fingers. Spread sauce over circles (or whatever shape you make), to within 1/4 inch of edge; sprinkle with cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake until cheese is light brown, 15 to 20 minutes.

Happy pizza night! :D