PDA

View Full Version : Candy Crystals - Snowy Day?

Shannon
02-15-2007, 10:17 PM
I read on someone's blog about a science experiment they did to go along with Snowy Day for making candy crystals. Does anyone have the instructions/recipe for this experiment. Thanks for your help. We're doing Snowy Day this week, and I'm looking for science experiments to go along with it.

KristenS
02-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Don't know if it was my blog or not, but we did that back in January. Learned a lot about following directions! :lol:

We did the one in Usborne's Science in the Kitchen, the Chick-fil-a version. It was on p. 7, "Rainbow Crystals".

2 spoons sugar
10 spoons water
food coloring
foil dishes or saucers covered with foil

Stir the sugar into the water until it disappears.
Pour two spoonfuls onto each foil dish.
Add a differet drop food color to each dish.
Leave the dishes in a warm place for three days.

Theoretically it will evaporate and leave behind yummy colored sugar crystals. They really mean it when they say shallow dishes, so it evaporates quicker. I think the foil is so you can break it up easier. We didn't follow that direction and it took forever to harden ... and then we could hardly get it out of the dish. :lol:

We checked it each day and made 'notes' on how it was progressing. It was fun!

Shannon
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Kristen,
Yes, it was your blog (which I've enjoyed btw)! Thanks so much for the "recipe". Can't wait to try it today.:clap:
Blessings,
Shannon

Heather W
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Kristen- I have Science in the Kitchen and what do you know...there's the experiment. I'm go glad I came in to lurk on Snowy Day ideas. We started the book today.

I had been thinking about it for while, but in January we did not have 2ft+ of snow like we do now. I'm so glad I waited!!

Anyone have any other fun ideas for the Snowy Day? I have a simple snow man craft ready to go using fun foam and string. Plus, I think we'll spend some more time sledding in the front yard. We've got a great run going.

Amy SD
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, thank you for the candy crystal recipe! We've been enjoying the snow out here in South Dakota for Snowy Day. These probably aren't new ideas, but my kids have loved dragging sticks around town to make tracks in the snow, having a snowball "fight", and experimenting with tissue paper and watercolors.

Heather W
02-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Amy- I think we are going to do the tissue paper project today as well. I think all of my kids would enjoy figuring that out. I can't wait to see what they turn out like!

KristenS
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Another thing we tried was ordering some of the "stained glass coloring books" from Dover ... they have a couple with snowflake patterns. Those were pretty neat to color and hang in the window.

We did Snowy Day along with Very Last First Time (from v.1) and had lots of icy fun.

Stopping By Woods goes nicely too.

Oh, and don't forget the online snowflakes for the older kids ... www.popularfront.com/snowdays ... Ted loves that one!