PDA

View Full Version : Red Carpet

Mi-chelle
02-16-2007, 10:51 PM
This was by far our best week. We stuck mostly with Jane's suggestions but, I just wanted to share a couple of things that others might enjoy. First we introduced the book at our co-op meeting. it started with a visit from the queen(me in a borrowed princess cape & a plastic crown:) ), who read us the story. Then each child made a crown out of a paper plate. After that we let each child walk down the red carpet that we had spread out for the queen. As they did their mom would introduce them as prince/princess ___________ . Then told something that made them special. The smiles on their faces was just priceless. At the end each child made a place mat with their pictures.

We planned a party for daddy & made him a special dessert, called Magic Flying carpets

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&u1=keyword&u2=carpet&u3=**1*1&wf=9&recipe_id=57838

Two activities that came up as we read were the comparison of old & new (milk truck, the way the policemen were dressed, the traffic light so on) & using his car mat JD took strips of red construction paper to cover the street.
It was really a fun week.

ab.grace
02-16-2007, 11:36 PM
It also sounds like something that my daughter would LOVE!!!! I hate the fact that I had the chance to buy that book pretty cheaply recently and I missed my opportunity. grrr... Now I will need to look for it and not pass it up. My daughter already thinks that she is a princess and she has told me in response to my question, what do you want to be when you grow up. "A Queen" :roflol: Thanks for sharing.

AB

Kisha
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Sounds like fun! I recently bought a used copy of Red Carpet but I haven't "rowed" it yet. Can't wait to get to it!

Shannon
02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Just wondering what you ladies think a fair price for a used copy of Red Carpet might be? I really want to get this one, as our library does not have it.
Thanks!

Ely in Chicago
02-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I will be starting this story tomorrow Monday so this was perfect timing for me. I LOVED that recipe idea! Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

TonyaP
02-18-2007, 03:39 PM
That sounds so fun, will you come be our guest teacher? ;) I can just imagine how cute everyone was in their crowns.

Holly S
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
That sounds so fun! We'll have to get that book off our bookshelf. :)

Shannon, I bought our copy from ebay for under $5.00 plus shipping.

Amanda
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Sounds like you all had a ton of fun Michelle! :clap:

shalomew
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I was lucky enough to find a softcover of this book at my goodwill yesterday for 49 cents--- so they are out there!!!! It is so exciting when you find a gem like this!!!!

AndreaD
02-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a wonderful time! Love the queen tie in. The Red Carpet is one of our FAVORITE titles around here.

Ely in Chicago
02-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Michelle, we tried that Kraft recipe at home for our Red Carpet week and I over heated it inside the microwave and it exploded!!! :eek:

But, we tried to do it a second and this time is worked great and my kids LOVED to eat Red Carpets (I used Cherry flavor) for dessert yesterday. :yum: Thanks again for sharing!

Other things we did...

Talked about hospitality and I tied it with "If Jesus came to my house" since the boy was so kind and hospitable too.

Pointed out things in the story as mentioned on the guide.

I went to google under image and typed "red carpet" and got some cool pictures of people laying a red carpet. And I printed a few of these to show my boys.

I had them follow the read carpet with their finger (left to right practice...like in reading ;-) and on the page where you see the red carpet all over the town my older one had fun trying to guess the "route" or way the carpet went.

We also made a looong red carpet using brown packing paper. We painted one side all read with finger paint (this was a lot of fun for them too) and then after their nap it was dry and ready to play with. We spread it along our hallway were they played with it all afternoon. We also wore red shirts.

They are still playing with their red carpet. Everyone in the house has walked the red carpet today: mom, dad, puppy, all the Thomas trains, all the Little People. They also asked to eat their lunch on it.

Fun, fun, fun :yes:

Mi-chelle
02-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm not usually good at sharing my weeks, (because I type so slow) but I'm glad that you all enjoyed the post. It sounds like everyone had fun. We sure did.

Shannon
02-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Michelle,
Thanks for posting what you did with this title. It sounds like so much fun. I've got to get my hands on a copy. Ely, I really want to do the butcher paper red carpet - my kids will love this!
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Shannon

Vickie/NC
02-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I am going to have to pull this one down and re-row it!

Vickie