PDA

View Full Version : Miss Rumphius question

Karen in PA
06-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Good Morning! I was going to row Miss Rumphius in the spring, but my mom just said lupines can only be planted in September. Does anyone know if this is true? Should I row it in September, or, is the whole lupine thing such a small portion of the book that it really makes sense to keep it in the spring.
Thanks so much.
Karen

Jeni
06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
We've always rowed Miss Rumphius in the spring. We've never tried to plant lupines and I'm definitely not a master gardener or even a good gardener, :lol: but you can grow almost anything in a container almost any time of year. ;) Lupines aren't the biggest part of the story, IMO, but they are rather significant. But you could grow just about any kind of flower or plant to good effect with that story. Good luck.

MarieD
06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
You can scatter the seeds anytime, and they will germinate at the right time. Lupine grow easily, but do not flower the first year. I think it takes three years for the plant to flower. HTH!

Karen in PA
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Ewwww. Three years?????!??!? I'm not that patient...
Thanks for replying. :)
Karen

Robin H in VA
06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
We have a pack of lupine seeds (well a wet pack, forgot and left them outside) and the back of the pack has the "time" zones. For VA where we live it is April - August, the month for planting. You are in PA so that planting time would be May - August.

I guess you could plant them inside if you have a place for them.

HTH

Tamie_in_MI
06-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I was told that some cities do not permit lupines because they can be poisonous to some animals and kids.

I did not check it out but I didn't plant either.

Kendra AU
06-23-2008, 03:03 AM
We rowed Miss R in the spring when our lupines were in bloom. The kids had great fun checking on them each day. You could row in the spring and then while on nature hikes look for lupines growing on their own. I thought it was bulbs you planted in the fall/winter so they'd be ready in the spring..

Kendra

Traci in Japan
06-23-2008, 03:15 AM
I bought them as a pot plant from the local nursery - there are new ones coming up at the moment, so I was hoping that they might survive our winter and then flower again.