PDA

View Full Version : Caps for Sale

Peg in CO
02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
I would love to check the archives to see what extras would go with this book, but I don't think that's an option yet, right?

So....anyone remember any of those ideas? I wrote down in my manual to make a "cap cake" with two round cakes, one of them cut for the bill. I also have a couple of books about real monkeys. Any other ideas? I'd love anything to do with food or crafts -- my dds love this. Activities are great, too. Thanks!

ETA: It's great to be back into B4FIAR!! Ds is now 7 1/2, but the dds are now just at the right stage. We're going to do Green Pocketbook the week of St. Pat's day, thanks to your wonderful suggestions. And the next week we'll do Angus Lost, because at the end of the week we are pet-sitting my sister's Scottish terrier! Fun!

DeniseR
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
A couple of things I remember were making monkey bread, cutting out paper caps in the various colors for counting. There was also a poem for coins. I found this in my files - I'm not sure if it's the same poem though:

Penny, penny, Easily spent
Copper brown and worth one cent.

Nickel, nickel, Thick and fat,
You're worth five cents. I know that.

Dime, dime, Little and thin,
I remember, You're worth ten.

Quarter, quarter Big and bold,
You're worth twenty-five I am told!

Keli B
02-28-2007, 01:19 AM
When we rowed Caps for Sale, I used plastic bowls to simulate the hats the peddler wore and let my boys try to walk around while balancing a stack of 12 bowls on their heads. We also pulled out our pretend money and role-played being the peddler and a customer buying a cap. I found a game for $5 called Tumblin' Monkeys and we played that. (I've also seen the "Monkeys in a Barrel" game which I remember from childhood but didn't spring for this.) Since monkeys like bananas, we made banana bread. Oh...and we also read Circus Caps for Sale by the same author. For a craft I found a tree printout (or you could draw one or have your kids draw one) and let my boys put monkey stickers on the branches.

Hope some of these ideas inspire you to have as much fun as we did with this book!

ETA: The bowl balancing and introduction of money were ideas I took from the BFIAR maual!!

Robin H in VA
02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
:hi: Peg

I have a three ring binder that I made a while back with some, not sure if it all, of the archives.

Here is what I have for Caps.

Try balancing items up on the head - small books, tossing rings, bean bags (my ds loves bean bags), etc. As they are balancing, have them walk around the room.

Make a sensory table of differnt caps, hats or just material, or get a "Barrel of Monkey's" and use a rice box or sand and hide the monkeys in the rice.

Some other go-along books would be:
Amazing Monkeys by Scott Steedman
Casey's New Hat by Tricia Gardella
Circus Caps for Sale by the same autor of Cap for Sale
Felix's Hat by Catherine Bancroft

That is just a few ideas from what I have of the archives.

We are still rowing Corduroy, so we are getting ready to go ride an escalator at a local mall and go to the bookstore again.

Have fun with Caps

Michelle
02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Monkey snacks (I don't know if this was from the archives, but my girls love em!)

Crush several graham crackers. Slice a couple of bananas and throw into a ziploc with crushed grahams, have child shake, then eat ;)

Shannon
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
We're going to do this one in a few weeks when we begin our "zoo" unit, so thank you for all the great suggestions. We're going to do a lot of the Curious George stories as go-alongs and possibly end the week with making monkey bread and watching the Curious George movie. Have fun!

Robin H in VA
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
:hi: I tried to post earlier this evening, but I kept getting a message that the "server not found". So let me try again,

Michelle posted about the monkey snacks and that sounds so :yum:.

I was thinking of using a monkey cookie cutter and do either brownies or chocolate chip cookies. I would rather do something healthier, but not sure what.

Don't know that ds will eat the snack that Michelle mentioned. He likes, no loves bananas, but he does not like for foods to "touch" and he isn't crazy about graham cracker.:)

It will be a while before we do Caps, so I still have some time to search.

Peg in CO
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
...especially love the monkey stickers on the paper tree! One of my dds has fine motor difficulties and peeling stickers off is good "work" for her. Not so hard she could never do it, but a challenge, nonetheless. Also, she's my sensory gal! So the barrel of monkeys in the rice is :thumb:

Thanks!

ETA: The poem is precious!

Peg in CO
03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Another thing we just did that was fun: I tied a string between the backs of two chairs and let the girls make monkey chains from the barrel of monkeys. What a great fine motor challenge! Then, as suggested, I dumped all the monkeys in the rice and lentils and they are currently hunting monkeys for their barrels.

Later today, we will drop colored hats (actually bean bags) from a chair down into a basket as we recite this poem for each other:

Monkey, monkey
in a tree
Throw an orange (red, green, whatever)
cap to me.

Essy
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
We are going to be doing Caps for Sale next week and this is my outline so far. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would go along well with what I have planned please post them.

CAPS FOR SALE:

1)Genesis story: emphasize how God worked and then rested on seventh day.

2)work: types of jobs (sales being one of them)

3)counting money: 50 cents...50 pennies, 10 nickles, 5 dimes, 2 quarters, half dollar

4)rest ...Sabath: Church, quiet time

5)emotions: anger

Essy
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Neat web page...
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/caps_for_sale.html

DD in IL
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Curious George is going to be at our library this week.

ab.grace
03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Neat web page...
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/caps_for_sale.html
What a cool website!! Thanks for posting this. I love it!!
AB

Ely in Chicago
03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
If you can find the CD read along version of Caps for Sale is a lot of fun.

We did many of the activities that Robin mentioned.

But by far the one my son wanted to do over and over and over again was to act out the story. He was the peddler of course. And it was great because it made him learned the order of things that the peddler said and did.

He still remembers it now.

Great book!

Amanda Williams
03-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Our youngest LOVES this book! She will be 2 on the 30th.
We all used dish towels for our caps and walked around singing "We're Following the Leader" and both kids loved it! My DH even got in on the action, LOL!

We have also played "Simon Says" for the past few days. I want them to understand the "Monkey See, Monkey Do" aspect of this book.

Definitely a favorite in this house!! :roflol:

ab.grace
03-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I just love FIAR, my kids spontaneously started acting it out. I was trying to show them how to balance a book on their heads and I sat down and pretended to fall asleep against the couch and the kids grabbed the book. That led into a fun re-enactment of the story! We also played barrel of monkeys and we hid them all over the living room. We also played monkey see- monkey do... what fun!! This can't be school>

Another thing that I had not thought of before is that we actually live in a place where peddlers roam the streets carrying all sorts of things on their heads. I started yelling out the things that they sell in the language of the people. The kids remembered. That was a great immediate illustration for them. (We've been in the US since Nov. they can't wait to go HOME!!!)

AB