PDA

View Full Version : Papa Picollo

JenniferSylvie
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Anything you especially love to do with this book? Favorite go alongs? Special lessons? We'll be rowing this book in a few weeks and I want to get prepared.

By the way, the cat (papa picollo) looks like our cat Rufus.

Candace C
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Jennifer, here are my 2 blog entries about this book. :)

Papa Piccolo unit (http://hismercyisnew.com/blog/?p=228)

Our Papa Piccolo lapbook (http://hismercyisnew.com/blog/?p=242)

Mary FL
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Jennifer, you're going to love this book!

Knowing Candace, her blog entry will be helpful.:)

MarieD
07-28-2008, 12:41 PM
For Papa Piccolo , I like to add the book The Orphan Singer, and the cd (think there is also a movie) Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery by Classics for Kids.

Both take place in Venice, like PP. Both involve orphans, like PP. These two go-alongs include the music aspect, and tie in nicely.

TennLynette
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
You can always use the "Search" here on the boards. I just typed in "Papa Piccolo" and hit it and several entries came up!

And--Candace always has the :cool:est ideas!

Of course, the manual offers plenty of instruction!!

Oh! "C is for Ciao!" is a new not-out-yet alphabet book that would be a good go-along for "Papa Piccolo".

Ging
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
My dd age 5 is going to help me make meatballs and she is so excited about it. We'll be rowing this toward the end of August. Oh, we also plan to go to the humane shelter and see the homeless animals-cats in particular. I bought a darling stuffed kitten for our display. I plan to give it to her the first day and let her hold it while I read the story
Ging

Paige P
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
My mom will be rowing this with the kids while she's here after I have the baby. I've printed off the stuff from HSS and have checked out the archives. I love the idea of the Crayola activity where you try to match the precise colors and then have them draw a scene with those specific colors.
I also thought the mixing of food colors sounded fun -- I can just picture my kids loving that :D

Somewhere I also read that a good chapter book go-along is The Family Under the Bridge, and I'll have her read that to them as our ch. book read aloud.

Scarlett
07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Jennifer, we always enjoy Papa Piccolo! If you're looking to add some extras, be sure to check out the archives...great ideas there! And do you have the FIAR cookbook? Another great way to make special family memories is to make and share the wonderful recipes/meals together! Enjoy your time in Venice! :)

Jennifer Unsell
07-29-2008, 08:26 AM
We love Papa Piccolo! Here are some pictures from our first rowing a few years ago.

http://www.theunsells.com/Misc_stuff_/Papa_Piccolo.html

Don't miss Becky Janes recipe in the fiar cookbook for the ricotta cake! It was :yum:

Teresa in Texas
07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Papa Piccolo is one of our very favorites!

Two go-along books that we really enjoyed (with a Venice setting) were: "Gabriella's Song" by Candace Fleming and "There's a Dolphin in the Grand Canal" by John Bemelmans Marciano

Penny
07-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I gave my dd food coloring and she mixed the colors in a cup and dumped the colors in her bath water. She had loads of fun and bright, unusual bath water that night. She now knows what colors are made when you mix the primary colors.:D