PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain math on the level to me?

Gail in NY
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I have recently seen some things on this and am interested. What is needed? How many extra books? (practice sheets for addition or multiplication?) How does this work - give me your day......

I have many dc who start out as littles really good in math and math concepts, but after a couple years in a traditional math curriculum, they have lost interest and hate it. Will this help? Is it a "real life" approach to math without all the boring repetition and kill and drill? Not that that is all bad and dc need to work at things. Just wondering if this is for us, but it seems $$ and I am not sure what all goes into it.

Heather W
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I can't tell you anything specific but I'm looking at this program for my kids.

Jeni
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Sorry for the cut and paste. I'll try to add more later.

What is needed?
We have just the manuals (the full set). We have all kinds of other manipulatives from other math programs we've tried and just use what we like with MOTL.

How many extra books? (practice sheets for addition or multiplication?)
I don't have anything other than the manuals. I print drill sheets from donnayoung.org and rotate through all the operations (+,-,x, \ ) . Occasionally, I will pull a worksheet from Learningpage.com

How does this work - give me your day......
Each child has a math lesson, lasting between 5 and 15 minutes or so. We work hands on with manipulatives and a white board. I may or may not give a worksheet afterwards. If I do, it might be handmade or one I previously printed out from learning page. Sometimes we do a group lesson, like today we are playing Fraction Pizza (a game from Discovery Toys that I already owned) for math.

Each child also has a "5-a-Day", 5 review questions of previous topics. Just because it's 5 questions doesn't mean only 5 topics are reviewed. Sometimes one problem can cover 5 different topics. These are hand written but there are sections in each manual where you can copy 5-a-day problems if you want or you can make up your own. If I'm on top of it, I make the next day's 5-a-day as soon as they are done with today's. If I'm not, it takes 15-20 minutes to write everyone new sheets in the evening or the next morning.

I have many dc who start out as littles really good in math and math concepts, but after a couple years in a traditional math curriculum, they have lost interest and hate it. Will this help?
It has for us.

Is it a "real life" approach to math without all the boring repetition and kill and drill?

Yes, this is exactly what it is.

I've got a math lesson to do ;) and lunch to make. You can search my posts, I've raved about MOTL more than once on here. ;) Or there is a Yahoo group for MOTL where the curriculum author herself personally answers questions.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mathonthelevel/

Gail in NY
05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jeni -
I'll be checking out your links. Is this company at conventions? Under what name? MOTL or carried by a distributor?

Jeni
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes, they are doing conventions this year. The convention they are doing near me they are listed as Math On The Level. ;)

Have you check out their homepage?

https://www.mathonthelevel.com/

If you click on "2009 Calendar" on the left hand column, you can see a list of the conventions they will be at. ;)

Kim
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Jeni -
I'll be checking out your links. Is this company at conventions? Under what name? MOTL or carried by a distributor?

They were just at the Midwest Cincinnati Homeschool Convention, as I see you are in Ohio too. I don't know if they will be at CHEO or not.

Heather W
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
They're at the LEAH convention in Rochester Gail. Why not come home for a visit? June 4-6. I'll meet you on the 6th!;)

Gail in NY
05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Heather - I actually considered it since that is my home area! I may just do that. Good excuse to come home....I'll let ya know!

ElizabethLinNC
08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, glad I ran across this when I was told to search for MOTL. It sounds great. I do wish i could see their materials in person though!

Heather W
08-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I didn't see you there Gail! But I did get a look at the stuff and it is awesome.

And it's on the way to my house RIGHT NOW! The whole kit and caboodle!!!:cool:

ElizabethLinNC
08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Heather I hope you blog about it! :) I'm using RME in part b/c of you, actually, I love reading your thoughts on things. (No pressure at all, lol.)