PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take the online Brave New Writer course?

Alice R
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.bravewriter.com/program/online-classes/class-list/

As I've posted before, this is a weak area for me. Maybe my kids know more than I think but I think we are not doing well.

I have also gotten it into my head that we are all lost and mixed up so now I'm just paralyzed with fear over what to do. :lol:

I'd like to sign up my soon to be 6th grader.

Has anyone done this? Opinions?

Alice R
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, so I'll be the guinea pig? :unsure:

CINDY LB OH
06-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I use Bravewriter but we've never taken any of her online classes. We just can't afford it, even though I want to do the Copywork/dictation class in the fall.

I know someone here has done the online classes though. I can't remember who- but I remember she liked them.

From all the good things people say on the Bravewriter forum and blog, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Jeni
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I love Bravewriter and think it would be a lot easier to implement with the online courses but we can't afford them either. I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed in the classes, I just wish they weren't so darn expensive. :unsure:

Nedra
06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Two of my kids have taken online Bravewriter courses. We have taken 6 total. They are nothing less than excellent and worth the $$.

Personally, I wouldn't start them before about 7th grade.

Susan Seaman
06-13-2009, 09:07 PM
My daughter has taken two Bravewriter classes meant for high school students. One was on Great Expectations, and it was OK - though maybe not as much as I expected (pun) :lol:. She also took a class on essay writing, and I was quite disappointed in it. I feel like I could have given the same helpful critique myself, and it was fairly pricey.

Our best experience with Bravewriter was when she subscribed to their message board to discuss Lord of the Flies.

JenniferA
07-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I subscribed to Bravewriter for awhile, but was not pleased. I would suggest reading all of Julie Bogart's information on the Bravewriter website as well as at Julie's blog to get a better understanding of where the author is coming from. In my experience, I would suggest IEW (Institute for excellence in Writing) over Bravewriter. IMHO, IEW is much clearer to implement and they offer tons of support, through video teaching by the author of the series as well as through their Yahoo! group. Just a wonderful program that teaches you how to teach writing! While the up front cost may seem a bit steep, keep in mind you can use their materials with ALL of your children, not just one, and it spans from elementary all the way through high school. The IEW method is also a nice complement to FIAR and BYFIAR, because you could easily use material from the books you are rowing to practice the IEW composition method.

Hope this helps!